Sunset Group / VIP Travel Cancun / Won't honor contract!

1 MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 507-853-4496

In December 2007 we received a FAX from Orlando FL regarding an all-inclusive vacation package to Mexico. We booked a vacation after first asking if there was a time-share presentation involved with this package and was told that there was not. After paying for the vacation we were contacted and told of more charges for the vacation which in the end the vacation was 146% of the original amount. The company that booked us might not be a part of Sunset Group/VIP Travel but they could have discontinued working with them.

Thinking that everything was final we were contacted again and told that we must attend a time-share presentation during our stay in Cancun . We were booked into the Ocean Club and the time-share 90-minute presentation would be with the Sunset Group/VIP Travel company. We were told that if we didn’t attend the presentation we would be charged the full amount for the vacation.

The presentation after getting into the 5th hour was getting very tiring, even though they were not rude or anything similar ton that. They got down to a $4000 USD package which I thought might be ok and knowing that we could cancel our contract and fearing that we would get charged the full amount for our vacation if we just walked out signed. Our contract no. is 28 9-4630 which we signed February 19, 2008 and is paid in full.

Upon arriving home on the 4th business day after signing we sent Sunset Group/VIP Travel a letter by e-mail, which is legal under Mexican law, telling them that we according to the terms of the contract were canceling the contract and wanted a full refund. They responded be trying to convince us to remain with them and in later correspondence told us we signed a waiver, which is illegal under Mexican law, that waived our right to cancel the contract.

We filed a form, with all the required information required, with Profeco which is an Agency of the Mexican Government to help and protect people in situations like we find ourselves.

Lately we have been ignored when contacting them so have now decided to let as many people know about their unethical and illegal conduct. Also if anyone is working together or wants to work together to resolve similar situations contact me at dlc@swwnet.com. There are also web sites that can be found to help by searching for ‘Mexican time share fraud’, ‘Mexican time shares’ or something similar.

Da

Comments

• Da
      6th of May, 2008

This post is in response to my original post about Sunset Group/VIP Travel.

The misunderstandings have been resolved to our benefit in an amicable way.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Bt
      5th of Dec, 2013

I know how you feel, and it seems like this is a common problen in Mexico. I purchased a travel program through Sandos Playacar at Royal Elite Timeshare Resort in Playa del Carmen last March and I requested to cancel within the 5 day grace period but they still have not refunded my down payment of over $9000 US dollars. I have been in touch with people there and they say they are working the process but it takes time. It has now been almost 5 months and I am losing faith they will ever pay me back. This is another forum with more complaints about this company:

I believe we should do something about it, as I understand Mexican regulations forbid the offering of gifts, free vacation certificates or any other promotion strategies without informing the consumer the specific purpose of the offer. I want to complaint with PROFECO about this, and get my money back