Staples / corrupted my computer

I purchased the USB notebook card from Staple's of Lenoir, NC. This is the part that the tech at Staple's suggested I purchase in order to add more peripherals to my notebook. Never was there a mention that they should do this simple installation. When I tried to install the drivers, they only partially installed. The device barely worked and was certainly not high speed. I called Belkin and, of course, had to deal with a person in India who really did not know what she was doing. After a very frustrating time, she suggested that I uninstall the drivers and install them again from their website. I did this and once again had no success. I called again and talked with a different Indian who also could not help me. I finally gave up told her I would call back. The last time I called, I spoke with a man, also Indian, who had me to change some settings in my computer, had me to once again uninstall what drivers had loaded, and try to install again from their website. I did this, but this time it messed up my computer. All of the peripherals either don't work or are erratic and I can no longer power down the computer. Also, I can no longer uninstall the drivers that are messing up my computer.

Now the real complaint. I took the notebook card back to Staple's this morning along with my notebook and explained the problem to a tech. He said they would look at it and give me a call. About five hours later, I received a call from the tech stating that to uninstall the drivers he had to install drivers and it would cost me $29.95. I told him this was unacceptable and that I would like to speak with a manager. I was told that Bob, the manager, was busy. I immediately drove to Staple's and asked to speak to Bob. Bob did come to the front and immediately got on the defensive stating that he did not know what I might have done to my computer in loading the Belkin product and that they were not responsible. I pointed out to Bob that I bought the product from Staple's and the product caused my situation. I also told him that the last tech at Belkin that I spoke to suggested that I take the product back to Staple's and have them look at my computer.

Bob stuck to his guns and would not take care of the situation. I did return the Belkin device and got my money back. I decided that I would not leave my computer with Staple's and will take it elsewhere for repair. In my opinion, this is extremely poor customer service on the part of Staple's. If they do not stand behind the products they sell and take responsibility for problems caused by these products, then they don't understand the meaning of customer service. I have been a customer of Staple's in Lenoir for many years and have given them quite a lot of business. The new company I have joined as a senior VP uses Staple's exclusively for office supplies, but I will assure you that I will use every bit of influence I have to make sure that a new source is found for both the company and for me and my acquaintances.

Ol

Comments

• Br
      21st of Mar, 2009

I don't see how you can blame Staples for this problem. The problem lies with Belkin, not Staples. If you want them to fix your problem then there should be a service charge.

• W3
      17th of Jun, 2009

Staples dose stand behind their products, but belkin is not a staples product. I would agree with staples because we don't know if the issue was due to belkin or an exsisting problem on your computer that was triggered by the driver installation. You sir, are what we call a "dumb ###" for blaming staples, who is just a middle man for many other products just like walmart, future shop, and other major stores. Be happy that they didn't charge you to look at what the problem was and next time don't blame your computer illiteracy on others.

• Kr
      25th of Nov, 2009

I can buy a car from a Honda dealership, does that mean that if I can't change the oil, they'll do it for free?

• Si
      20th of Jun, 2012

Actually, the sales associates were in the wrong.

A 69.99 fee should've been assessed first for a Diagnostic, to determine what the issue is. If it didn't install after initially calling Belkin, something in the computer may be malfunctioning, and we need to determine that.

In addition to determining how much damage you/the Belkin support rep caused.

Then the cost of repair/install on top of that.

So really, 29.95? Great bargain!