Sprint Nextel / fraud and cheating

For several months now, I have been getting a Sprint bill for my wireless phone for about $39 then, all of a sudden, I get a bill for $258 and some change. I called about it and was told that I went over my 450 minute plan. I clearly remember having 800 minutes -- I was told that I had 450 minutes and to check my contract. I should, but am having some trouble finding it. I have been very busy; I did upgrade to the Simply Everything Plan for $99 per month to avoid ever getting a bill this high again; $99 is expensive to me too, but at least it is a set amount.

I am aware that Sprint rounds up minutes, so if you make a call and are told the person is not there in a matter of seconds it counts as a full minute, so someone could use 10 minutes in a 5 minute period, but there is no way that I used 450 minutes. No record of calls were in the phone bill. I asked for the calls to be mailed to me (I am not that great with the Internet). What I got in the mail showed no minutes used. I had called today to work something out. I was on the phone over 45 minutes. The rep did not speak English well; she had an accent and kept telling me the date of the bill and the amount when I asked what could be done to lower it.

This went on at least three times until I asked for a manager. He told me the charges are valid and would not give me any credit. I explained that something is wrong and I am not paying this bill. He connected me to someone in Account Services, who after much difficulty, gave me a $35 credit which is not enough. She told me that the charges are valid. I explained that she is assuming the charges are valid -- I was never presented with the calls, just the bill, and they keep telling me that the charges are valid. I told her that I am extremely dissatisfied and I am not paying this bill. She told me that 'detailed billing' is something they only send upon request and they are not required too. I had offered to pay half the bill and have been working with Sprint in that I had upgraded my plan, but feel that they have not worked with me.

A few minutes ago, I got a collection call from them saying I must pay today and my phone will be suspended in 48 hours. Instead of making a payment, I have filed this report on complaintsboard. I am wondering whether my bill was jacked up just to encourage me to take the set fee plan. Did anyone else have this experience?

Also, before getting this bill, I had lost my previous cell phone, unfortunately it fallen somewhere, and even though I was told that someone else only made one call, I wonder whether that had something to do with the large bill. None of these possibilities were looked at by Sprint -- they just wanted the outrageous money. I was told that no one else has my number. What about the person who found my phone? I asked what about someone cloning my cell something or other which I saw a warning about on TV and I was not answered. I suspect fraud and Sprint has been totally unhelpful regarding this. The bill is wrong and I am not paying it and I have told the whole world about this bad experience!

Gl

Comments

• Ji
      23rd of Jan, 2010

SPRINT has NEVER had a plan for $39.99 where you get 800 minutes! I have been a customer with Sprint for 12 years! I check/shop them often. Grow up!

• Sh
      25th of Mar, 2010

Yes, They are cheating on the bill. After I disconnected the service they asked to pay $73.00 but there was no pending bills, they bills advance in every month, means March month bill I paid on Feb month and disconnected on Feb. They sent bill for March month...