Spirit Airlines / bag check-in pricing, confusion over credit card acceptance inconsistencies

1 Netherlands Antilles

I experienced much confusion and stress departing and returning from vacation on June 21-28, 2008. My first compliant was that I had to pay $40 to check two bags leaving the US to go to St. Maarten. and $50.00 returning from St. Marrten.

No one contacted me or informed me beforehand that bag check- in would be higher upon my return to the US. When I asked the ticket agent how would I have known rates went up during my vacation, she murmured something about checking the Internet. Why would I have reason to check the Internet, and specifically the Spirit Airlines web site while on vacation? I was able to pay for the $40 bag check-in using my credit card. Upon my return to the US, the St. Maarten ticket agent told me I had to pay for the $50 bag check-in by paying CASH only. Between the two of us, my husband and I barely had that amount of cash on us. We just made it, with the use of some dollars and change.

One other inconsistency, was my being able to use cash to pay for a soft drink on my way to St. Maarten, but only by credit card upon our return. We as the customers, were not considere4d at all in terns of making our travel smooth. There are too many inconsistencies and lack of communication between Sprit Airlines and customers. If we had not had the exact change, that woo would have been a problem.

It is my opinion that the bag check-in rate I pay going should be locked in as the same rate returning. Recognizing whether or not the customer can afford to pay these in-the-middle-of-vacation increases is definitely not considered.