Southwest Airlines / rebooking gone wrong

1 Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:

I am an 18 year old female. I was going to visit my father in Germany. I was flying on my own for the first time and it was an international flight. I was scheduled to fly from O'hare to Detriot, then Detriot to Frankfurt. I was given an hour and a half between my two flights. I checked in my bags three hours early and gave myself an hour and a half to make my way to the gate. After checking in I checked my flight to make sure it was arriving on time. Everything was set. I said my goodbyes and went through security to my gate. That only took 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes they delayed my flight. I understand these things happen. I went to the counter at the gate and asked if I would be given enough time to board my other flight with the delays. I was told no and she TRIED to rebook me.
I'm not an airline personel. But I believe that you should call the airline and ask if they have another seat avialable. The women did not do that. She procedded to book me for every flight she thought she could get me on. I was told 5 different locations that I would travel to first. They told me my luggage would be taken care of, I would be bumped to first class on my first flight, and I was to have a nice day.

Not too bad so far. I didn't mind changing flights and the upgrade was very nice. I was finally at my correct gate. when our time to board came and passed I was worried. I politely went to the counter and asked again if i would have enough time to board my next flight. I was ignored and recieved an over the shoulder "yea." I figured they would know best and that I was just worried, being it my first time to fly by myself.

I was on a flight to New York's Kennedy airport where I would transfer to my Frankfurt international Flight. We had taken off to late. We landed and I was only given 20 minutes to find my gate and board before it was to take off.

Problem two, we didn't get to our gate for 17 minutes. We were stuck on the plane on the landing strip. I also noticed that my ticket gave no gate number, nor a terminal number. It gave me a flight number, that's it. I politely asked someone where my gate was. I was told that they had already boarded and that it was half way across the airport. If I wanted to catch my flight I should better run. So that's what I did. I sprinted half way across the airport with a carry on bag.

When I made it to my gate I asked the man if I could still get on the flight. He told me no it was getting ready to take off now, and that I should have shown up on time. I started to cry. I had no idea what to do. I tried to show him my ticket that said I was supposed to be on that flight, he told me I was not even in the computer. I continued to cry and he yelled at me to stop yelling at him. I was so confused. I calmed down and told him I had just gotten off one of their airlines flights! I was not late the plane was. He told me that he could do nothing about my luggage but to get on the plane.

I got off my plane hoping for my luggage to be there so I could go to the room and sleep. It was not there. The women apparently forgot to change my luggage from the first flight she booked me. My luggage was in Paris France.

I was not booked on my own flight, only the others that she tried to put me on. But my luggage was to be on every other flight.

I do not trust southwest to fly me anymore. THe only way I would book with them again is if I had several hours in between flights that way if one was delayed i would still be safe to take the flight.

Southwest is rude, and unorganized. It was the worst flying experience I've ever had.

Comments

• Su
      29th of Aug, 2008

CAN YOU SPELL I D I O T? YES, YOU... DING DONG! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DOES NOT FLY INTERNATIONALLY, ONLY WITHIN THE UNITED STATES. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT AND MAYBE SOMEONE WILL LISTEN..

• Al
      17th of Dec, 2008

And Southwest doesn't fly out of O'Hare or Kennedy either. Aspiring fiction writers should check their facts before making up a story.