Sony Vaio Laptop - Model Vgn - Cr490 / Power leak through metal frame

1 Vietnam Review updated:

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop - model no. VGN-CR 490 - seial no. 3000480 - made is USA from a dealer in Hanoi in Vietnam before 3 weeks. On receipt of the laptop, I felt mild shocks through power leak on the metal frame of the laptop. Tested with a power tester and took photogaphs of the red indication on the tester to confirm power leak and asked supplier to replace. The supplier refused to accept my claim for replacement and retainined my laptop for testing by SONY Vietnam - another authorised dealer for nearly 2 weeks. After testing the dealer issued a letter stating that all the laptops of CR model have such leak which has effective DC voltage of 19V inducing a voltage of AC 75 V as leak which causes the shock. The statement further indicates that the leakage does not cause any harm to human health and if there is any loss to human life caused by the notebook the dealer is legally responsible for the pledge. I lodged complaint in web site of Sony - Asia Pacific - attaching photographs taken but no response from SONY. I wish to know if anyone experienced similar complaints and also is there a way to take up this issue directly with SONY - USA or Japan for replacement of the laptop.

Rk

Comments

• Pr
      26th of Oct, 2008

Hi,

I have the same notebook. I bough it from bestbuy.com but for use in India.

I faced the same problem but a technician suggested me to use a 3 pin converter and instead of directly putting the cord in the socket. It worked !!!

There are earthing problems in electricity in some countries like India. May be you face the same problem.

Rgds

Prateek
    +919954052555

• Mf
      28th of Nov, 2008

I owned a VGN CR353 and also faces same issues.Especially if Im using it on a table.Doest kill me but giving me much discomfort though.

But if Im using on my bed (any type of cloth below the laptop) it's gone.

• Sy
      19th of Jan, 2011

Really cormfortable keyboard, touchpad very functional. The size is perfect and feels the weight just taking into account the characteristics of desktop replacement and capacity. It has a very powerful processor and decent video. The only exception is on the screen. Although the 1920P resolution is great, the blacks seem to wash quickly when the screen is not perfectly perpendicular. However, I would recommend this PC. http://www.thesonyworld.com