ServiceMagic.Com / I am very disappointed in the contractors I have gotten through Service Magic

I am very disappointed in the contractors I have gotten through Service Magic, and I no longer use this service as a source for referrals. The contractors pay to be included on the site, so there is no real screening done to ensure that qualified professionals are coming to your home. During the course of a kitchen remodel I had everyone from experienced contractors to outright frauds call me from my Service Magic request for referrals. I would not recommend anyone use this service, but would particularly caution women to be very wary of the contractors coming from this site.

Di

Comments

• Sm
      7th of Aug, 2012

Hello "Diliene" -

I am sorry to hear that you are concerned with the professionals you have been matched with through us. We verify and screen all potential member businesses including searches for criminal convictions, sex offender registry, state-level licensing, civil judgments and others. We then collect direct feedback from homeowners through ratings and reviews. I would like to discuss your concerns more in detail to see if there is anything we can do to help. You may contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or mblack@servicemagic.com.

Mandy Black

• Co
      4th of Nov, 2012

I had a bad experience with one of the referrals. What should of been a simple home project was a disaster and now the contractor is suing me and it keeps escalating with legal threats and intimation not to mention the anxiety and grief I've suffered fighing back what I feel is my consumer rights...thats why I decided to try and go through a referral company thinking they were looking out for us.

NEVER GIVE THEM MONEY UP FRONT first sign of a not so reputable contractor. If they are good at their work, they won't need money up front. Get at least three written estimates and make sure their specific. Look up Consumer Advocates for advice before looking for a contractor. Angies List is very similar. Makes me ill when I see their commercials because you the consumer pays to belong, the contractors do not have to pay anything.