Sears Appliance Delivery Service / tried to jack the total up over $260!

1227 Windsor St.West Covina, CA, United States Review updated:
4.5
Phone: 626-918-6844
I am a skilled home repair/remodeler who had the misfortune of dealing with Sears delivery. We ordered a dishwasher from Sears about 3 weeks ago. Old one is burned out... get a new one... easy replacement... shouldn't be any problems. 300 for the dishwasher... and an extra 140 bucks for INSTALLATION. I'm takin' the day off and I'm gonna let Sears wrestle with the dishwasher.

So they are here right on time and some guy gets out of his personal dented pick-up truck in sloppy shorts and a beat up t-shirt. Comes in.. takes one look at the sink... and says, "I'm gonna need to drill a hole in your sink (in addition to the one thats there) that'll be 184 dollars. Plus air gap kit extra 86 dollars." I said, "There's a hole there now - just use that one."
He says, "Nope, the hose will kink, your garbage disposal is facing the wrong way." So I said, "Our old dishwasher never seemed to have any trouble with a kinked hose, what's the problem?'

It was right about now that I'm figuring that this guy just wants extra money, and without any extra money he isn't going to do a thing. So I checked him by asking, "Can you just put the dishwasher in the slot. Hook up the water lines and I'll take care of the air gap?'

HE SAYS NO.

So I asked him what the hell the 140 INSTALLATION charge was for. No reply of course. I told him if he cant get Sears to refund the "Installation" charge, to just keep the dishwasher. He called and got us the refund. We only paid a 35 dollar delivery charge. He left the dishwasher in the garage.

Needless to say, I installed the dishwasher myself... no problems, same hole for the air gap, hose is in no way "kinking", and I even found out they make an under the counter air gap which require no holes at all. So I never did get an installation professional here. What I saw that day... was a con man with my dishwasher.

Sears sucks.

Comments

Mr
  5th of Jun, 2008
I agree. SEARSsucks is a rip off. Double oven started giving F7 error. Tech came out and said I hear you're getting an F9 error. I said no - F7. He said it was the control board. Ordered a new one. Next week different tech came out and installed the new board. Less than an hour later the new board was giving the F7 error. After I had paid SEARSsucks $575.28. Now they're refusing to refund my money. They will send a tech to remove my new board but they won't give me back my old board or my money??? Sent a complaint to the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. There are tons of websites regarding the Kenmore F7 issue. It's more of a product defect that they won't discuss. NEVER buy from SEARSsucks
Mr
  23rd of Nov, 2008
Wow, the dishwasher fiasco sounds almost identical to mine. Too long of a story to get into and tired of talking about it. But yes, Sears and the installers they use are not very ethical.
Co
  3rd of May, 2010
Totally agree. Terrible experience with Sears delivery. This past Saturday was the 3rd attempt to deliver our refrigerator. First, wrong one. Second one, damaged. And now the 3rd one, also DAMAGED. The delivery guy says he told the people at the warehouse that he didn't want to take it because it was obviously damaged, and they told him to try and deliver it anyway. What the heck? Were they trying to slip another damaged one by the customer. Did they think we wouldn't care, or did they just not want to have to deal with it? The delivery guy felt like he was getting stuck in the middle and the warehouse didn't want to talk with us. Sears customer service was completely unprofessional, could not help, other than trying to order another one. Never apologized. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he put me on hold for a 1/2 hour and no one ever came back. I'm even madder now and dealing with the Sears appliance center in Tampa to try and get this resolved, but let me save you the aggravation if you're considering buying from Sears. DON'T DO IT!!!
Jo
  3rd of Aug, 2011
Same story. I bought a dishwasher and had Sears deliver it. Expensive, but convenient. My wife was home with they showed up, and it wasn't Sears employees, but local plumbing flunkies. They immediately declared the old dishwasher hookup to be "not to code", and said they would have to charge another $250 to do the job. What could my wife do? if she had pressed the point, they most likely would have left with the dishwasher, and it would have been a time consuming and expensive effort to get someone else to install the thing. So she gulped, paid them, and they installed the thing and were out of there in less than an hour. Maybe the ancient dishwasher hookup wasn't up to code, but it is fishy to say the least that they use that as a pretext to double their price for less than an hour's work. As Mrs. Wright said, neither Sears nor their flunkies are ethical. Needless to say, the Sears representative I spoke to about this was unsympathetic to the point of rudeness.

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands