Samsung / fixing a faulty tablet

Korea, United States
Contact information:

I hate cliches, but, if I could give Samsung's customer service a negative rating, I would. My Samsung tablet started glitching three months after I bought it. It is now five months after I bought it, and the thing is almost unuseable. I have been trying to get it fixed for those two months with absolutely no luck.
My first step was to take it to best buy. I bought it online through Best Buy, so it made sense. They happily kept it for three weeks and sent it back untouched. They said that they could not do anything because the tablet had a carrier associated with it (AT&T). It seems to me, first of all, that Best Buy should have known before taking my tablet that they couldn't work on it. Haven't they run into this situation before? Why did they take three weeks to find someone who knew this? They referred me to the Samsung Experience Store.
These people didn't even bother with my tablet. They took one look at it and said that it was AT&T's problem. They sent me to the AT&T store.
Here is the only bright spot in this whole debacle. The people at AT&T were so very helpful. It turned out that they were also not responsible for fixing the tablet, but, the manager of the store sat down with me, called Samsung, waited on hold for a long time, tracked down the correct department, gave them the IMEI number (a TINY number on the back of the tablet that is used to identify the specific tablet that they said they would use to verify the tablet [a process that takes three days, apparently].), and got me a ticket number. The Samsung people said that they would verify the tablet and e-mail me when it was finished. AT&T did not need to do this. They could have told me that it was not their problem and sent me on my merry, confused way. I thank them profusely for taking the time to help.
So I waited. Over a week later, I finally got an e-mail. By that time, the 72 hours that they allow for single ticket numbers had expired and I had to get a new ticket number. They needed a bill of sale. I got an e-mail where I could send the information and I was told that they would e-mail me when had finished doing whatever it was that they had to do with the bill of sale. NOTE: I repeated the ticket number back to the customer service person just to be sure that I had copied it down correctly.
I waited. A week later, I finally called them, gave them the ticket number, and...the ticket number was incorrect. The bill of sale had gotten lost because they could not attach the information to the right ticket number. We started all over again. This time the customer service agent gave me a new e-mail address. They said that this email was their documents department and that it would get there faster and more efficiently than the other e mail that the previous customer service agent had given me.
I waited. A week later, I finally called them and was told that the e mail address that the previous customer service agent had given me was incorrect and that I really had to send it to the original e mail that the first customer service agent had given me. We started a new ticket number. This time I wasn't going to fool around. I uploaded the bill of sale to the Samsung website, e mailed the information to the two e mails that I had been given and, just for good measure, faxed the information to the fax number provided on the website. I repeated the ticket number to the customer service agent twice, just to be sure that all the information was correct and called them in the morning.
The next day I called them and the information had not yet been transferred to my file. The agent on the other end of the line asked me to wait for an e mail. I told them I would call back the following day.
The following day I called them. I was again told that the information was not in my file and that I would get a conformation e mail when the information was assembled. It occurred to me that millions of patients were coupled instantaneously with their medical information using medical records numbers; packages are tracked all over the world using tracking numbers. Why does it take so long to get one sheet of paper paired with a ticket number at Samsung? I knew that their deadline was 72 hours, so I planned to call them the next day.
So, I called them the next day, and was told that the ticket had been rejected because the bill of sale didn't have and IMEI number on it. I gave them the IMEI number for my tablet on day one. They spent three days verifying my IMEI number! They said that the number also had to be on the bill of sale. I looked through my paperwork and found that the IMEI number was not on anything that I received.
So, I called Best Buy. After being transferred to half the departments in the company, I finally got a hold of a very helpful person who searched all the paperwork and said that they didn't have anything with an IMEI number on it. She said that it was a piece of information that was never put on bills of sale. She even called Samsung corporate and explained that to them. The answer that she got was that they needed it to process my claim. At this point, I knew that the Catch 22 was firmly in place. I was not getting my tablet fixed without a bill of sale with the IMEI number on it and the people who sold it to me said that such a thing didn't exist.
Now my glitchy tablet has turned into a dead tablet, I have spent more people hours on this thing than my tablet is worth, I am back to square one and, after two months of fighting it, I am looking at the prospect of buying a brand new tablet five months after I bought the last one. Rest assured, the next one will NOT be a Samsung.

Jul 13, 2016

Post your comment