Sallie Mae / public service loan forgiveness
I was thrilled to hear that the government announced a loan forgiveness program for borrowers who work in public service (schools, public hospitals, libraries, etc). If your loan is paid in good standing for ten years and you are working in public service, the balance of your loan after 10 years is forgiven. That would take me into retirement.
Then I called Sallie Mae. They told me that since I consolidated my federal loans with them, I was not eligible for the program. The loans now belong to Sallie Mae which is a private company.
EVERYONE consolidates their loans through Sallie Mae. They present themselves, falsely, as a government agency, but are able to "opt out" of a government loan forgiveness program.
That's bait and switch and that's illegal.
More Sallie Mae Complaints & Reviews
- Sallie Mae - Student loans 
- Sallie Mae - Scams, scams and more scams 
- Sallie Mae Financial Services - Billing statements not sent! 
- Sallie Mae - Private Loan Forbearance 
- Sallie Mae - Scam and cheating! 
- Sallie Mae Bank - Parent Student Loans
- Sallie Mae Bank - fraudulent accounting practices
- Sallie Mae - Student loan fraud
- Sallie Mae - Disrganized flaw - filled poor excuse of a lender
- Sallie Mae - We aren't the people that owe anything