SAA / poor service

1 London, South Africa Review updated:

On 25 Setember 2007 I purchased a ticket from the SAA hub at JHB Airport for an amount of GBP586. The ticket was a fully refundable one way ticket from London to JHB, leaving on 13 January 2008.

I subsequently cancelled the ticket via the London SAA Office and was given a reference number for the refund. I was told that I could only claim the refund from the SAA hub at JHB Airport - notwithstanding that I am currently resident in the UK. I was visiting family in South Africa recently and on 1 April I went to the SAA hub to claim my refund. I was told (a) the reference number given to me was incorrect and (b) I could not claim a refund from the SAA hub. I was given a contact number and told that if I called that number my refund would be arranged. When I returned to London I called the number I was given which turned out to be the incorrect number - it was actually for SAA's General Counsel. I was given another number to call.

When I called the number I was given I was told that the London Office of SAA was who should arrange my refund and I was given yet another number to call. This number turned out to be a fax number!!! The London Office of SAA insist that I have to claim my refund from SAA South Africa.

I have called the number they gave me (customer care) 5 times and still have not spoken to anyone who can help me. It is now 7 months since I purchased my ticket and 3 months since I first tried to claim my refund with no luck. Notwithstanding that I am South African and a Silver Voyager Membner, I will never fly SAA again and will never recommend it to anyone. This experience has left me anything but "proudly South African"!

Comments

9th of Oct, 2008

Excuse me...but what more can you expect when dealing with a South African Company run by South Africans? As a nation of whining ignorant fools you should really quite happy with the service you received. Don't worry though, the airline's run by your country men so it's bound for disaster.

• 19
      6th of Aug, 2012

10 passengers "off loaded" from flight departing JHB to DBN on 3 August at 15h10. No reason given. We had to wait until the next departing flight at 17h40!