Royal Holiday / royal holiday vs unsuspecting vacationer

1 Mexico Review updated:

Royal Holiday vs. Unsuspecting Vacationer, like David and Goliath

If you look at Royal Holiday’s web site and printed materials they are a big company that has been around for decades. Their in business and the business is sales. They have studied the psychology of sales and practiced on customers that don’t have the experience and information to make informed judgments.

The vacationer is often in a foreign country, a beautiful resort setting like Cozumel Mexico Park Royal, when they are offered the opportunity to be able to return as often as they desire if they join today. The presentation begins by showing the vacationer inflated membership prices. Then the offers begin, the initial prices, etc. begin to be cut in half. One freebie after the other is put on the table. Even free airfare for your next trip back. Actually being there is part of the incitements. It is beautiful; you are having a great time. Wouldn’t it be great to have the ability to be able to afford this more often.

Of course, now you are home and you have tried to use the membership, the incentive coupons, etc. you see they could offer you anything, because they were not intending to give you any of it. One of the patterns you will notice is they ignore you. You call to cancel, they tell you to write, they never answer. They give you phone numbers that don’t have people in authority there to deal with you. They put you off. They rely on you taking so much time trying to work with them that it will be too late for you to get help. The more you read of the accounts of Royal Holiday members as you do research on the Internet you will understand.

First, the average membership for 30 years is around $20,000.00. Then you pay annual dues which are around $650.00. These dues can go up. They have a contract for you to pay this, and they go after you with collection agencies and put bad credit ratings on your reports. Then you can hardly if ever get a vacation you want, because they have people paying cash for the rooms you would use points for. Those people are potential victims of the fraud. If they give the rooms to members they won’t have the chance to make more money. Often by the time a member realizes this they feel hopeless.

You are not hopeless. Join groups on the Internet where people are sharing information. They have been successful. Use these accounts to demonstrate a pattern of misrepresentation and fraud with your credit card complaint. File a complaint with PROFECO. They take claims up to a year after the contract was signed. Like David, the victims who took action got the money back. For those who waited to research they have taken around a year. For those who discovered the scam early within the month. Just send as much as you can to your credit card company with your fraud claim.

You can do it, others have. Royal Holiday is not invincible.

Comments

• Lu
      29th of Apr, 2007

I know what you say is true. I felt like such a fool to believe all the lies and sign the contract. You help me to understand that it wasn't that I am stupid, but they are clever, experienced scammers. I have heard from a woman who just got all her $27,000. put back on her MasterCard. She signed the contract in Cozumel on April 04. When she got home she saw complaints on the Internet, and filed will everyone suggested. She let Royal Holiday know she filed with PROFECO, MasterCard, BBB in Southwest Florida, California Attorney General, e-comerce.com. She sent out an e-mail to a bulk list and got everyone she could to read about the scam. When she filed her credit card fraud claim she printed up everything she could find on the Internet to verify that there was a pattern in their business practice. She showed they lied and said no reconsideration perion on the contract by printing up the Mexican law of five day cancellation. It is not even the end of April and she has every penny back through reverse of charges. She is still going to pursue getting her contract officially cancelled with Royal Holiday, because she has read that they come back later and try to claim you owe them money. So she is not cancelling the PROFFECO action. If enough of us do this they won't have the reason to continue this business. We can drive them out of business. Everyone fight as hard as you can. Write your stories for others to see and use as testimony against these crooks. No one can fight alone, but if each of us takes a stand they will be forced out.

• Ri
      30th of Apr, 2007

I believed the lies too at Park Royal-Cozumel. It was a beautiful hotel. They seemed so professional. Now I know they were professional con artists. They got my confidence. I believed I would get the things they gave me documents for. I have tried for almost five months to book a trip under the "Founding Members" program, and it is never available. Spring break was spent at home trying to get answers from the customer service (what a misnomer) department. I have given up trying to get any of the services I was sold, I am now trying to get out of the contract and get my down payment back. I have filed papers with the agencies I have heard about from other victims by reading complaint boards, putting in Royal Holiday. There is a lot of good information to help retrieve the money. PROFECO must have a team dedicated to this one company. I don't feel like a total fool because there are so many of us, they were just professional liars.

• Da
      4th of May, 2007

Thank god we didn't fall for this on our trip to cancun. We were tricked by someone wearing our hotel's uniform to go see a "new hotel" that was all she said and that it was not sales and we would get a free gift for visiting the hotel. Lie lie lie! The guy were with showing us the place said "i don't know" to every question i asked. The saleswoman at the end wouldn't stop trying to confuse us with numbers. Thankfully my man is a math wiz and was like no that's crap and showed them up big time. Some sorry couple fell for this program while we were there i feel bad for them.

If something sounds too good to be true, it def is!!!

• Th
      19th of May, 2007

Thank you for all the pertanant information. I really needed to see this. I can't believe all they said and gave me is based on lies. Now I know why I could not book the two vacations I tried to at Park Royal Cozumel. I am a "Founding Member." I guess that means I just found out my membership is worthless.

I am grateful to your sharing your experience and the research on how to get help.

Regards,

Tom

• Da
      27th of May, 2007

I can't believe the 'Royal' group is still in business! We attended a presentation in Cancun - Feb 1999 on the promise of free breakfast, a bottle of Tequila, 2 'Mexican' blankets and 2 day trip tickets to Tulum/Xel-Ha (sp?).

We went into this presentation with absolutely no intention of buying. After breakfast and a tour of luxury rooms (which we knew we would never see again if we purchased), we were offered a package at $ 14,000.00 US.

We continued to insist we would only deal with a company with offices in Canada. Despite the fact that several of the 'senior' sales staff were Canadian (embarrassing), we continued to insist we wouldn't deal with a company operating out of Mexico (they claimed their headquarters were in Florida).

Each time we refused, a more senior closer was introduced, and the price dropped. After over two hours of intense sales pitches the price for the 2 weeks had dropped to $ 2,5oo US!!

After they gave up on us, I insisted on the gifts promised... and we got everything!!!

When we returned to Canada we also discovered on the Internet that Royal had hundreds of complaints.

On the other hand, we have heard from many friends that have successful time-shares - but none through Royal.

• Do
      9th of Jun, 2007

I am trying to get out of my contract with them. Anyone who sees this, please, don't give them anymore money.

10th of Jun, 2007

This is so true...

• Ts
      12th of Feb, 2008

WE JUST RETURNED 3 DAYS AGO FROM COZUMEL AND MY HUSBAND AND OUR OUR FRIENDS EACH INVESTED $20.000 IN PARK ROYAL. I AM SICK READING THIS. I HAD A REALLY BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS FROM DAY ONE AND TOLD MY HUSBAND. NOW I SEE I WAS RIGHT. WHILE THERE WE TALKED TO 7 PEOPLE WHO WERE MEMBERS. ONE MAN HAD BEEN A MEMBER FOR 15 YEARS AND WAS VERY HAPPY. I AM READY TO START THE CANCELATION PROCESS BUT NOT SURE WHAT HUSBAND WANTS TO DO. HE WILL HAVE TO READ THIS PAGE.