Roomster.com / unauthorized charges

1 315 Monaco Run SWAtlanta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 404-346-3931

Roomster submits unauthorized charges to customer accounts. When I received (1) mail message, I authorized a 3-day subscription to check the message at a cost of $5.95. I was shocked to see that Roomster had charged my account for an additional $29.95 3 days later for an upgrade for 30 days. If I was going to upgrade for 30 days, why would I pay for 3-days. Roomster uses unscrupulous, fraudelent tactics to get customers. I have to file a transactions dispute with my bank, and also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. I immediately sent an e-mail to Roomster informing them that I did not order an upgrad for 30 days, but received no response. Once they make an unauthorized charge they say that there is no refund. They should not be allowed to be in business.

Comments

• Ge
      17th of Sep, 2009

Roomster.com did the same thing to me. I auhtorized 2 weeks of email service for $14.95, but they charged me $29.95. And less than a month later when I canceled my account to remove my listing, Roomster.com charged me another $29.95. You cannot get a valid phonenumber from them, and their online support service does not respond to your complaints. You have to call your bank right away and file a dispute claim against these charges and have a new card reissued so that Roomster.com does not keep fraudulently accessing your funds. If you take note, Roomster.com does not give you any confirmation notice or receipt for your transactions. And I know we are all living in a very busy, busy age, but as consumers, we must take the time out to file these complaints to the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau. These agencies provide us with online service to file our complaints. Please I recommend, if you have experienced the same thing by Roomster.com, call your bank, get a card reissued and file your complaints to the FTC & BBB. --It's Not A Matter Of Stupidity. (Lu)--

29th of Dec, 2010

Same thing here. Cancelled the listing same day as it automatically renewed but could not obtain refund of 29.95. Not even PayPal would stick up for me. ROOMMATES.COM is much better website anyway, but I will mark my calendar before the listing automatically renews there too, just to be sure.

• Du
      28th of Feb, 2012

I looked into it and you have to read the agreement, you pay for a certain time and after that time lapses you are automatically billed for the full 30 day, it's not their fault you don't read fine print.

• Cf
      18th of Jan, 2013

DO NOT USE THIS SITE! I saw many interesting ads, so signed up for 1 day subscription to view them. NONE of the ads I was initially interested in were real. The ads all seemed bogus. I contacted 4 or 5 of them & got only 1 response, which was 'too short a rental time', though i inquired about a month to month rental ad asking about renting for two months. Figured the site was a scam, but then decided as I'd only spent $5.95 to find that out, no big deal. Four days later, my Paypal account was charged $29.95. I contacted Paypal to dispute the charge, then emailed roomster.com. They said the renewal was automatic unless i cancelled it w/in 5 days, & would continue to be charged unless i cancelled it on their site, then cancelled Paypal's automatic billing. SCAM & scummy biz practice! AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE! I'd say stick w/ Craigslist, but every "interesting" ad on Craigslist was not able to be contacted directly, but contained only a link to roomster.com, none of which actually went to the listing itself, just to roomster's home page. So I've written to Craigslist to alert them that roomster is clearly posting bogus ads w/ them, to drive people to roomster's online scam. Hopefully, they'll block all ads w/ roomster links in them. Meanwhile, don't be ripped off by these ###! Avoid their site altogether!

• Li
      10th of Aug, 2015

I did subscribe for 14 days. They rehash all the people looking for rooms as new contacts. So if you don't find your match immediately you are looking at the same people. Also roomster charged my card again without my authorization and I am having trouble getting my money back. Not a good service