RIU Hotels & Resorts / not advised of closed hotel

Mexico

A few months ago I made reservations at the RIU Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, for the week of September 9th thru the 16th for myself, wife, daughter and son-in-law. Upon arriving at the RIU Santa Fe we found the resort buried in mud due to hurricane Lydia. Our driver called and was instructed to drop us off at the RIU Palace next door. We walked in the lobby only to find that this resort was also closed. After talking to a clerk at the front desk, we were told that we would be relocated to a different resort, the Royal Solaris. I asked about transportation and was told that we would have to pay for a cab to get over there. My first complaint is that the RIU did not notify me that the resort was closed. I was in the reservation system with all of my contact information so THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT BEING NOTIFIED.
My next complaint is in regard to the 2nd class resort where we were relocated. Ocean swimming / water activity is prohibited due to the ocean conditions year round at this location. Food services were inadequate especially with one of the specialty restaurants being closed the length of our stay. Three of the six days we were there (we only stayed 6 nights) we had to call repeatedly to get our room cleaned. We attempted a tour booked through the Royal Solaris and it too was for the most part a disaster. Tour staff were rude. While the management of this resort is not the responsibility of RIU, putting us up in this 2nd class resort was the responsibility of RIU.
We were told that the RIU Palace reopened so a part of our vacation could have been salvaged but when I called the RIU Palace to ask about moving back they said they didn’t know how to do that. Yet other guests at the Royal Solaris advised us that they were moving back.
We have stayed at RIU facilities in our past travels numerous times. We stay at RIU because we expect a higher level of quality and services. I expect to be compensated for this travesty. If you want to keep me as a customer, please provide me with feedback to this letter.

Ca