Restaurant.com / Unauthorized purchases with my credit card

1 1500 West Shire Dr., Arlington Heights, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8009798985

I am writing about restaurant.com and the scam they are doing to custmers who purchase gift certicates on their site. It is unethical, and they are doing it for ecomomic gain without your consent.
When you purchase a gift certificate, you are unwillingly letting them sign you up for a company called Shopping Essentials which bills your credit card for $14.95 per month. Restaurant.com has over 3, 000, 000 visits per month and about 5% of people purchase the gift certificate. If 150, 000 gift certificates are sold per month and they are billing $14.95 per month, it works out to $2, 242, 500 per month. Thats a huge number and they are doing it without your knowlege. I bought my gift certificate in May of 2008 and my first bill for Shopping Esstentials was July 2008. Apparently they wait a month so you forget that you purchased it over the internet and dont link it to them. As a restaurant consumer, I am appalled that a company would steal money from me in this nature. As a restaurant owner, I would not allow my reputation in the community be destroyed because some company is scamming my customers. Its not the restaurants fault, they DO NOT receive any money and are unaware its happening. They are legitimate, and using the program correctly. Restaurant.com should be ashamed of themselves for scamming unsuspecting people from their hard earned money, and also risking the restaurants reputation by cross selling products customers are not seeking. I hope the restaurant owners out there are reading this because you are unwillingly scamming your customers without your consent. Pass this on to restaurants. I am.

Be

Comments

• Re
      24th of Oct, 2008

I just emailed you a couple of days ago. I sent a link to this
    site to a district manager for restaurant.com I am happy to
    say that after weeks of struggling to cancel a restaurant contract with restaurant.com I received a telephone call day
    cancelling the contract and taking down our restaurant from
    their site. I am so happy to be rid of the fraudulent service
    that prays upon both the restaurant owners and their customers. Believe me restaurant owners do not want to
    participate with such businesses. You are so right they have
    never responded to any emails that I have sent or telephone
    messages other than transferring me and putting me on hold
    on a voice mail.

• Re
      28th of Jan, 2009

thanks for letting me know- I just got taken by the same scam, I plan to contact my cities convention and visitors ctr as well so they can pass along the word to other restaurant owners about these clowns- tell EVERYONE you know in the industry and pass the word along.

• Sh
      18th of Nov, 2009

I have had a same experience with restaurant.com. Two years ago after buying certificates from it and looking at credit card statement a few months later, I noticed a monthly $14.95 charge from Shopping Esstentials which is the result of buying the certificates from restaurant.com. At that time, it was too late to file an complain tp credit card issuer and get money back. I will never do any business with restaurant.com!