Radio Shack / dishonesty

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I brought a Garmin Nuvi 265WT(GPS) in for Service because the FM traffic receiver doesn't work. I had been in contact with Garmin, Tech support couldn't resolve the problem so I took it into Radio Shack under my service plan & checked the unit in for repair. The unit is less than a year old and under the manufacturer's warranty. The unit was supposed to be sent to Garmin. During the warranty period, Garmin is the only one that can serive their products. I purchased my GPS on 02/13/10 with serial #1R2278435 with an internal ID#[protected]. They were surprised that Radio Shack did not send the unit to them. Instead of fixing my unit, they gave me a different unit with a different serial # and internal ID #. REPLACING A PART DOES NOT CHANGE THESE NUMBERS. My unit I checked in had very slight scratches on the screen, the unit that they returned to me had no scratches and was noted by them as well. The FM Receptor/Car charger was not checked in for service when it should of been because that is the only way to make sure FM traffic was working. I checked in the unit for service the first time on Nov 6th, it was noted on the service receipt that I had some small faint scratches. It was serviced by tech Andrew F. when it should of been sent to Garmin. The repair shop Replaced main PCB which does not alter the serial no. or internal ID#. I went to pick it up on Nov 20th. THE FM TRAFFIC DID NOT WORK. I noticed the serial # sticker had been moved and did not match the unit. I noticed that the there were no scratches on the front screen unlike my unit. I told Radio Shack repeatedly, I want my original unit with the correct serial # and matching internal ID # returned. Instead they checked it into be sent back to the Service ctr the same day Nov 20th. I received a msg on Dec 2 from the Repair shop that they couldn't even work on my unit and sent it back. The repair ctr insists this was the same unit all along, they refuse to fix the problem. The unit they gave to me back yesterday has serial #1R2297406 with an internal ID#[protected]. I registered this new unit on the website and the is what pops up on Garmin's website: Product details for your device are:

Product name: nüvi® 265WT

Registration date: Dec 10, 2010

Serial number: 1R2297406

Unit Id: [protected]

Registration Code: T9AJKL0

Then the repair shop had the stupidity of saying that replacing a part on the GPS unit changes the seral number and internal ID. This is false. These two numbers are under copy-writed and legally can't be changed. An unauthorized service center has to have written permission from Garmin to service a product that is under the manufacturer's warranty.

Radio Shack
Radio Shack

Comments

• Po
      29th of Dec, 2010

Really...you're going to complain about a company trying to resolve your problem without you having to wait for it to return. That's just sad that you have this much time to make a statement on the internet that's saying Radioshack is dishonest. I work for the company myself and it's up to the managers discretion if they want to exchange the product for a new one to try and resolve the problem. If that's what they did, then they tried fixing your problem quickly. Radioshack's tech center IS authorized to do anything and everything they have to to fix something that is under manufacture's or extended warranty. So, how about lets stop complaining about stupid stuff.