Publix Supermarkets / etd compilation

1 Port OrangeDaytona Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

Publix Complaints

I’ll make an “experiences to date” bulleted listing of the experiences I have had in one or more of the Daytona Beach, Florida Publix supermarkets:

• Refused to do anything when my car sustained minor body damage by one of their stray carts, in their sloped parking lot. Not even a penny discount on bottled water.

• The Customer Service Desk line grows and grows while one person cashes checks, sells lottery, tobacco and batteries, and always services a fellow employee first.

• Publix seems to think that the “Deli Experience” is some long, drawn out, slower than molasses process which never occurs in any real deli. Always short staffed.

• They will insist their rotisserie chicken is done until you get it home and the thighs are raw and frothy.

• Their bakery ‘Chicago Italian’ bread is very good…if it’s not full of holes the size of a half dollar.

• Bakery again: Unless Publix exists in a universe where mathematics are not the same as in this universe, then ½ of a loaf of bread, which is normally 16 oz, is NOT 7 oz.

• Bakery again: The 70 cent cinnamon twists are now an inch and a half shorter than what they’ve been for years.

• Back to deli: Their Mardi Gras chicken wings are awesome! But you need to call ahead and plan your day around when they decide to make them. And ask them for the seasoning to make your own? Forget it. They have a cash cow sitting there and don’t even know it. Yet they’ll sell their own brand condiments, mushrooms, bread and rolls, “natural meats” and a plethora of other foods & sundry.

Overall they’re bakery is still the best in my area, you can trust their meats to be fresh most of the time [but we have two competing butcher shops in the area that have fresher, higher quality meats at equal to or slightly greater than prices] and they carry some canned items that other stores don’t. I’ll do a lot of my canned or non perishable purchases at Wal Mart [fresh, and I mean crisp fresh bulk mushrooms are $2.87/pound versus Publix ‘fresh’ packaged 8 oz mushrooms for $1.99]. Also, their locations are convenient to many major traffic routes for convenience to most people and their stores are very clean. They have accepted my returns for refund or replacement without question on the rare occasion that it was necessary.

Their prices are higher than most except Food Lion or 7-11 for the same products you can purchase for much less at Wal Mart super stores. Their quality does ring true in cleanliness, most bakery goods, deli meats, fish and meats, produce and dairy.

I still want that Mardi Gras wing season recipe or the option to buy it.

Ro

Comments

• Cl
      28th of Mar, 2009

You're complaining about everything, yet stating that they are the best around.

For you Mardi Gras wing recipe... tell them you need to see the ingredients list because you're highly allergic to some things. If you're any kind of a cook you can figure it out.

• At
      5th of Apr, 2009

Publix sells the Mardi Gras seasoning packages for $5.00. I purchased a package of the seasoning but have still not been able to make my wings taste like the Publix wings--I'm not sure what process Publix uses to cook the wings--baked, fried or grilled--or what quantity of the seasoning is used to prepare the wings.

• Bo
      2nd of Jun, 2009

Publix does an overall great job. We have a new one here in town and it's great. They did contact me and we worked things out. I still shop there and will continue to. The things I originally experienced in my initial post, as I said, were observations over time in many area stores. Some were common denominators among all of them.
    I was raised to believe that if you're going to critique then give them praise as well rather than simply whine about their shortcomings. Publix pluses absolutely outweigh their minuses by a long shot.

1st of Jul, 2009

As far as the shopping cart damage goes, legally they are not required to pay for it. They do not own the parking lot, the property management company does, so the "slope" is not their fault. If a cart is left out in the parking lot by a lazy customer, this is not Publix's fault either. The customer didn't get the shopping cart from the parking lot, so why do they leave it out there? Also, the law will recognize the associated risk of parking a car in a parking lot where shopping carts may be present, and if the weather is bad, Publix will claim an act of God, such as wind, caused the damage.

• Pp
      4th of Feb, 2010

Not True. If the shopping cart does not line up with the damaged area of the car, then they are not liable for the damage.

• 6g