Pep Boys / refund

Orland Park, IL, United States Review updated:

There is a serious problem with the Pep Boys in Orland Park, IL. I brought my car in on 3-24-12 to have front end work done because noises when I hit a bump. They said they will charge $19.99 to inspect the front end and I asked if that amount would be applied to the bill if I have the repair work done. I was told no. They told me what was wrong I gave the OK to have repairs done. I had the control arms repaired. When it was done, I paid the bill and the cashier said the noise would be 95% gone. On the way home, the front-end noise was still there just as always as if nothing was done. I went on the internet on the Pep Boys site and while checking some info I saw that the inspection fee should be free when the work I done. I called the store and complained that the noise was still there and that I should not have been charged for the inspection fee and I was told they could look at that when I bring my car in again for the front-end noise. I had decided I was going to bring my car to Pep Boys anymore because I don’t trust them to repair my car anymore. I called the corporate office many, many times and cannot get my $19.99 inspection fee refunded.

Comments

• Lo
      30th of Jun, 2012

I recently had Pepboys in Homewood, il repair my 2008 dodge Magnum for front end noise. I explained to the service clerk prior to working on my car, that I was not using my dealer because of past bad service experience. I told her I would continue with them if the service was good and fair. WHAT A [censored]G joke. WHile the repair fixed my suspension problem, I didn't think I would be fleeced with labor cost and hidden (optional) service charges for which I was not asked about or I requested. The rate per hour was listed on the paperwork as $101/hr. I was charged $887 for them to replace two control arms and do an oil leak (dye test). The parts were $230. The labor cost and hidden fees were a whopping $550+. Without EVER asking me, they charged me $55 for an "Extended labor warranty" and 99.99 for a one year wheel alignment option. Please note: I ALREADY have lifetime wheel alignments with NTB( Great Tire Service company) I told the manager about these hidden charges and I was immediately refunded 99.99. When I asked about the labor charges, he stated that, no matter if the job took 10 min. or two hours, the standard rate for replacing control arms is $181 for each side. Note: control arms can be replace in 1 hour or less for both sides on a dodge magnum. My question. WHY have an hourly labor rate of 101/hr if you are going to charge the customer a flat labor rate of $362. Also, the customer should be told of this flat rate before the service is performed. The mgr could care less and it was obvious that I was just a pain in the ### to him. I WILL NEVER, EVER buy parts from, or let Pepboys touch any of my vehicles, again...EVER!! I hope their onetime fleecing of me was worth a potential lifetime of parts and service on my four vehicles.

• 95
      22nd of Feb, 2013

Next time take the car back to the company. How can they make it right if you don't return?