Pep Boys / fraud and scam

United States Review updated:
Pep Boys
Before I took my SUV to the Santa Clarita Pep Boys I called for a front brake job estimate. $185. When I showed up, they immediately scour my SUV for the up-sell by measuring the tread of the tires. Coincidentally, they have a 'buy three get one free' promotion. Just the brakes, thank you, just the brakes.

A few hours later I get a call from Martin Andrade, the manager. He tells me they didn't realize my SUV was four wheel drive and the new price will be nearly double. Now, my SUV has a 2' lift kit with giant off road tires and six PIAA lights on the front. Didn't know it was four wheel drive? I'm thinking, do I really want these people working on my car? I tell Martin to forget it. The price is too much and besides, I told the person on the telephone and the guy who checked me in it was four wheel drive. I'll swing over and pick the car up. No problem, he tells me.

When I show up, everything is completely torn apart. They had to completely take the brakes apart before they discovered it was four wheel drive? After a long heated argument Martin offered to do the brake job for the original estimated price.I made them put the car back together and took it to a local mechanic.

In hindsite, it's easy to spot their tactics. Low-ball the estimate on the telephone. If the upsell doesn't work when you bring the car in they try to find a reason to raise the estimate. If that doesn't work hold the car hostage by taking it apart.

N  29th of Sep, 2008 by
Pep boys can't align tires. They had them all screwed up and also destroyed my outer tie rod ends by over heating the adjustments. The so called master mechanic was in such a rush, which I don't understand why the place was dead. Which should have been my first clue that there service ***.And then when they placed the tires back on they stripped one of the lugs/bolt. I had to replace the out tie rod ends and I had to replace the lug/bolt and to do that I had to replace the rotors and brake pads. Thanks a lot pepboysss.
A  14th of Jun, 2010 by
Just letting you know I just got let go by Pep Boys.

You are right about low balling over the phone, it's company policy. When ringing up an estimate over the phone there is actually a "phone quote" option on tires and other repairs.

Even when I got an enormous discount for service I wouldn't let my own cars, my relatives or anyone I cared about (even my enemies) go to PepBoys for service.

Pep Boys Logo Pep Boys