Pella Windows / Bad service

We purchased our home in 1998. It has pella double-pane windows that have the blinds between the panes that had been installed approximately 3 years previously according the prior owner. In 1999 we noticed some dampness and discoloration of the wood frame of the bay window.

Pella send a representative to the house who promptly told me that it was my fault for not cleaning the vents properly and allowing condensation to build up. I have since religiously cleaned the vents and have ultimately removed one of the panes to better monitor the situation (and to prove it could not possibly be condensation).

The frame now has even more discoloration and the window needs major maintenance or replacement. Another call to Pella and they sent a salesman to sell me a new bay window. Are they kidding? Yet another call and they offered to send a technician to give me an estimate - at a cost to me. They did let me know that any work will be a minimum of $450 just for labor.

The warranty is supposed to be 20 years on these windows. Of course, you can't have a warranty repair if you don't acknowledge the problem...

To

Comments

• Pe
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Pella had a defective series of windows that they are fully aware of. You can identify them because of a channel along the window sill in front of the sash. I believe it was the Series II. There have been several lawsuits and all are ended with a Gag order. Get a lawyer as that is the only way to get them to respond and even then it will be difficult. And tell everyone you know that Pella is a low quality and disreputable manufacturer!!! We can impact their business if we tell enough people and it would be just desserts for the way they run their business.

• Ab
      1st of Jul, 2010

I'm sad to say that I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

• Gs
      26th of Sep, 2012

As we all know if Pella were providing quality customer service for their shifty product there would be no negative postings on the web. We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!