Papa Johns Store / delivery driver took my money!

My family and I ordered from Papa Johns Store At 4535 Falls Road tonight almost $30 worth of food. I had just gotten a $50 bill changed for my meals for the upcoming week, and I had the money with tip a total of $32 ready for the delivery person. When this person came I mistakenly gave him the $50 and not The $32. I realized this and ran out to try and catch him. He was long gone. Now you and I both know that these delivery drivers check what you give them and if its short come immediately back to bet what they were owed. I once didn't have the correct amount and realized this when the driver came back and gave him the amount that was due plus a tip. When I called the store I talked to the driver and he said he would see what he could do, I then talked to the manager and unfortunately he said at the end of the night the drivers would pay what they owed the store and the rest over that would be their tip. He said it was my word against the (untruthful) driver. You and I both know that this driver will not of course be over on what he collected. This was a stupid mistake on my part one which I will never do again, but just had to get this one out there to let everyone know watch what you give the pizza delivery guys, because if you make an honest mistake its your loss. The right thing for this driver to do would have been to come back and ask if I really meant to give him this much money, this would have caught the mistake and I would have even given him more of a tip for being honest. I work with independent contractors for one of the oldest and most respected courier companies in the Baltimore, Maryland area and our people would have never done anything as dishonest as this. My brother gave his life in Vietnam 40 years ago this March for the freedom we all share including the dishonest Papa Johns Delivery Staff. The Manager could have also handled this incident a little different.

Ripped off In Baltimore.

Comments

21st of Jun, 2007

I assume a $2 tip for a $30 meal is a typical tip for your type. That is only a 6.7% tip. Consider the dangers and expenses involved in pizza delivery driving, the wrecks that can occur while you are on the job, the increasing price of gas, the amount of miles involved in delivery driving, not to mention the frequent oil changes and replacement of tires and numerous other things that can happen to your car or yourself while making numerous deliveries every day. I know you have to give waiters a bigger percentage of the tip, at least 10% right?, and they aren't risking their lives bringing you your food. I also assume that you didn't say, "Here is a $2 tip for ya". So he would not have known that you didn't mean to give him a generous tip for his services. Also, it is understandable to accidentally give a guy say $42 dollars, which would be 2 $20's and 2 $1 bills, a total of 3 bills, instead of a $10, $20 and 2 $1 bills, also a total of 3 bills. However, you are claiming you accidentally gave him one bill when in fact you meant to give him 3 bills? I am sorry sir, but your story doesn't add up. I think you are just sour for making the day of a delivery driver who WORKS FOR THE TIPS, not for his hourly wage which is never above minimum. Also, calling up a store and claiming that you gave the delivery guy "too big of a tip" or "he stole money from me" is absurd. Would you also do that at a restaurant? Even if you would, the response would still be the same. You cannot "refund" a tip. *sigh* I am not trying to be mean. I just want to let you know, not all deliver drivers are dishonest, if you don't tell them exactly what amount you are giving them how are they to know that you didn't mean to? I was a delivery driver. I have gotten $15 - $20 tips before, very rarely, but I have, and didn't question it. Just understand that pizza delivery drivers, and any delivery drivers in general, deserve a big tip, even more than waiters and waitresses. This is coming from a guy who was delivering a Web delivery pizza order in which the tip was $2 and on my way to their house had a car accident, totaled my car, and was hospitalized. Totaling your car for a $2 tip hardly seems worth it, doesn't it? But that is the danger each delivery guy faces every time they deliver you a pizza. So be generous with your tips man, and quit badmouthing delivery drivers for one lousy experience, they are saving you time and energy... and possibly your life.

• La
      28th of Jun, 2007

As a Papa John's delivery driver in Texas, I would like to agree with Chris. I'd also recommend going to the site www.tipthepizzaguy.com for more information on tipping and the duties performed by delivery drivers.

• Ke
      3rd of Sep, 2007

First of all, what does your brother getting killed in Vietnam have to do with pizza delivery? And second, you gave a $2 dollar tip. Wow. You think you can spend that $2 dollars there - tight ###.

26th of Sep, 2007

I have delivered for many years and if someone gives me a fifty dollar bill and the total for the order is $32 dollars then I dig out a couple fives and 3 ones and thank the customer for ordering. If I get a tip I'm happy. If I don't get a tip I'm angry but move on. Someone else will make up for it, guaranteed. The driver should have counted out the customers change at the door and left it up to the customer to make the final decision. Also, with the ever increasing delivery charge that the companies charge, some customers assume it's the drivers tip. I blame the companies for misleading the consumers, which ultimately affects the driver's tips. I heard a pizza place in Florida has a $7 dollar delivery fee. What a crock a crap.

• Va
      4th of Aug, 2008
    Papa John's Store #645 - Don't order from them
    Papa John's Store #645
    Nederland
    Texas
    papajohns.com

Delivery time of about 1 1/2 for just 1 pizza. They said because they were busy! When I called to complain the lady only offered $5 off of next order. I think I've ordered like 2 or 3 times and they were all slow with the deliveries but this time being the slowest!! Don't think I'll order from there again!

13th of Oct, 2008

I am a delivery driver and i have to say i have gotten a worse tip than $2. As a matter of fact just tonight i got a tip of $0.30!!! I was upset, but i said have a nice day and i went to my car and left. Some people do think that the delivery charge is for the driver. That is not true. At my store they charge $2.50 for a delivery charge. Now my point of view is that, that $2.50 should go to the driver, but it doesn't instead i only get$1.15 for mileage reimbursement, which isn't much at all. Not to mention that they only pay $4 an hour when im delivering anyways. And when i am in the store i get minimum wage which is $6.79 here. So being a pizza delivery guy or girl is hard so like laura said go to www.tipthepizzaguy.com to really understand what we go through. We basically live off of tips.

• To
      6th of Feb, 2009
    Papa John's - Manager lied to cover his mistake
    Papa John's
    720 N. Vermont Avenue
    Los Angeles
    California
    Phone: (323) 953-8282

We ordered a current special they were having: 1 large deluxe pizza and 1 large with 2 toppings. We did it online which we've never had any problems with in the past but this time we placed the order at 7:15pm. I called back at 8:15pm because they said due to the rain they were busy. Ok I understand, but then the manager Marco Novello said it would be 10 mins. When I called back at 8:30pm he said it was late because on the order I indicated "pick-up". I said why then did you charge me $2.25 for a delivery fee? He then tried to backtrack and say he thought I was another order. Well needless to say when the pizza finally arrived at 9:15pm - 2 HOURS AFTER I PLACED THE ORDER...I sent the driver back and refused the pizza. I called my credit card company to dispute the charges. Will never ever order from Papa John's again. Domino's just earned a new customer.

• E7
      11th of May, 2009

I don't care about your brother- I wouldn't complain about my local pizza place until it's something they actually did incorrectly not my mindless handling of money. Customers who think they're money is god and that i should kiss ### even though they give ### tips to my drivers and cause me more money than they spend by demanding refunds get poor service either consciously or unconsciously. As a manager i would have surly questioned the driver but i have no right to search their persons for suspicious fifty dollar bills how much they make at the end of the night is none of my businness- This is a unfortuanate occurrence completely initiated by the customer not one of my drivers trying to pay his child support and rent. =/

• Wo
      15th of Aug, 2018

@e7bin That is easy for you to say because you are a manager. It does not help you when you yourself have come home from the hospital and you are disabled and you have just lost both of your parents and you give your Papa John's delivery driver 50.00 dollar bill thinking it was a 20.00 dollar bill and a 10.00 bill and then a 5.00 dollar bill for a 31.00 order so there was a total 65.00 dollars given to the driver and that would have left a 4.00 tip the papa John's is only right up the street so don'the sweat me over the tip amount. This driver new I was in the hospital and I told her both my parents had died. Anyway to make a long story short. The driver made 20.00 dollars to much and the rest of that money was going to be used for my electric bill and was given to me from a family member because my dad had passed away. She already new this. Makes your company look like [censored]. Makes you look like an Ass.

• Nc
      17th of Sep, 2009

I'll start off with saying that you are right in principle, the guy should have brought you back the difference. This is why I agreed with you, but only for that reason. That said, here comes "blame the victim" time.

You need to be responsible for your own money, and know what you're doing and giving. No amount of blame that he deserves covers your own mistake.

Basically, the guy really should get at least 10% of the bill as a tip, I think it's just fair. He does less than a waiter does, but personally I still tip delivery as if I were tipping a waiter, maybe just a little less enthusiastically (I typically give 20% to a waiter, or better if the bill is really small or service was top notch). So 10% is a minimum.

That said, basically what you gave the guy was $19 extra. Now, depending on where this guy comes from, and how long/far he had to drive, you're not considering that to bring that extra $17 back (based on your paltry $2 tip!) he would need to spend an extra $2-3 easily to bring that money back to you. So you should in fairness be asking for no more than $12 back.

Here's the preachiest part of this, and something I shouldn't be pointing out given my own history, but if $12 makes or breaks you, then you need to reconsider ordering pizzas. It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno.

Clearly, you don't need to give this place any more of your business, but you should really think about whether this guy deserves as much blame as you think he does.

Granted, I'd have brought back the money, and I'd have even pointed it out when I took it from you. Even if I'd somehow made it back to the place, and it was a reasonable distance, I'd have proposed exactly what I just told you. That is, give me the original tip and an extra $5, and I'll come drop off the $12 to you. If not, and you want to come get the $17 from me, that's your call. Otherwise, it's not my problem.

• Th
      2nd of Oct, 2009

I LOL at chris's post. What the hell I've done pizza delivery through Bronx and Brooklyn in Nyc and you make it sound like were terrorists going on suicide missions. I didn't live off tips either I got payed 10$/hr and .75$/delivery for gas. It is not that hard to be a pizza delivery driver its actually the laziest AND funnest job I have done so far. Who cares if people give you small tips or big tips you sound like those angry virgin waiters who look at me like I just cheated on them with there wives when I give them 7% tips off whatever I payed. It isn't the customer's fault you work for a ### pizza company who pays you garbage. Don't take it out on innocent customers, for your natural anger toward your cheap ### boss or whoever you talk up to.

• Th
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Also by the way Chris I giggle at your rage from your car crash and blaming someone's 2$ tip. You need to grow some balls little boy and take that rage on either the horrible driver that crashed into you or your horrible driving skills.I am pretty certain your customer didn't set up a hired driver to crash into then tip you 2$ so he can piss you off even more. I can't stand waiters and other jobs who live on tips to blame the customers with so much inner rage. Either shut the ### up and suck it up or get a better job and ditch your boss who refuses to pay you jack ###.

• Na
      3rd of Oct, 2009

To Thinkb4youspeak...Who the hell makes $10/hr delivering pizza. You must work for some small shop that has an insanely high hourly rate.
    Every pizza delivery job I'm aware of pays less than minimum wage and it is understood that your tips will push your gross income over the minimum wage requirement.
    There's no way you're a pizza delivery driver - I'm willing to bet that you're just some chump who stiffs the pizza guy wanting to throw his 2 cents in.

The facts are:

Pizza delivers DO depend on tips.
    Pizza drivers DO risk their lives every time they jump in car to take you your food...no, of course its not like they're trying to take down Al Quieda single-handedly...but there is a significant element of risk involved with spending 8 hours on the road everyday in all types of weather.
    Pizza drivers DO incur significant costs as simply part of their job requirement. When you put 30, 000 miles on your car every year there are many expenses such as gas, tires, breaks, oil changes, belts and hoses, repairs and general wear and tear which significantly reduces the life or the car..

Please...appreciate your pizza delivery guys for what they do. It's not a glamorous job and I'm sure its not a life aspiration for most of them but it a job that's requested by society and makes your life just that much better since you don't have to go out to get food when there's a foot of snow on the road and they've shut down the highway.
    A few bucks isn't going to kill you...otherwise you wouldn't be spending $30 on dinner right?

• Pa
      30th of Oct, 2009

Papa Johns just changed our pay to $3.00 per hour when we are on delivery and $7.25 when we are in the store waiting for a delivery. We depend on tips more now than ever. I never would of guessed that you didn't mean to give such a big tip because we do get big tips sometimes but when you compained a NORMAL driver would of returned with your change or the manager could of gave you a free pizza. Next time call and asked to talk to the supervisor of all the store if you don"t think the manager handled it correctly. A PJ driver.

• Al
      2nd of Dec, 2009

a good driver, in most instance, will make the out-sized tip known to the customer. but, a large tip on a large order is not uncommon. that having been said, your crappy 2.00$ tip is, well, crap. perhaps you should do pick -up, and u will save about 2$ on the shady delivery fee. (the drivers dosent get that either)!

• Rr
      27th of Jan, 2010

How the hell did you think a single bill was $32? That's the biggest problem. Yeah, he should have given tyou back change, but after a day of delivery I can see myself taking it and putting it in my pocket thinking "don't ask for change, don't ask for change" and then happily zipping off wit ha few bucks. You are acting like he took a hundred instead of a ten. THAT is another story and couldn't be seen as a decent tip. It's been years since I delivered, but a $20 dollar tip isn't really like robbing a 401k. There is no reason at all to bring vietnam or anyone's honor into this equation. That's kinda tantamount to invoking Goodwin's law. At best this is a minor incident where you somehow thought a $50 was $32? Heck, for all we know, you could be wrong! Maybe the kid wasn't lying ands you're3 the crazy guy who's accusing him for nothing. We really can't be sure.

• Am
      30th of Jan, 2010

First of all, $2 on $30 is a horrible tip. You should be ashamed of that kind of tip if you can afford to own a house. Most of us cannot do that.

Second, Papa Johns drivers just suffered a substantial paycut, and we need the tips to live.

Third, if someone hands me over the amount, I assume the rest is a tip. If it's a huge tip, then that's great. If I ask if they need change and they say no, then that's it. I will not drive back out to their house to give them back cash which they handed over to me. Don't be stupid. ^.^

Also, we have 3 war veterans working at our store. Having a family member who was in the military doesn't make you special when it comes to tipping.

• Za
      3rd of Feb, 2010

Didn't anyone notice she said ALMOST $30 worth of food? If I bought $26.50 worth of food, I would put almost $30. Her tip was over $2 for a order under $30. Her tip was probably more than 10%. If the order was almost $30, the tip wasn't TWO DOLLARS

• Za
      3rd of Feb, 2010

But I do hate when people bring in the reasons why they are entitled to better service. The Vietnam thing was ridiculous.

• In
      16th of May, 2010

Yes you should have gotten your money back. I have to say this though. You didnt even give the guy a 10% Tip? Are you kidding me? I mean 15 to 20% is standard when you even go out to eat. This man drove his own car, and used his own gas tp bring your pizza, and with gas prices the way they are you gave him 2 dollars on a 30 dollar order. You should be just as ashamed of yourself as he shoudl be for not being honest with giving you the overage you paid him. Thats ridiculous!

• In
      16th of May, 2010

Zadika it deffinitly wasnt genius. Do the math. It was almost 30 he said. He gave 2 dollars. thats 10% of a $20 order, so no, it diffenitly wasnt. Besides 10% is a slap in the face in todays day and age. This is 2010 and not 1990.