Nissan / tranny and customer service

1 WA, United States

Bought a 90 Maxima with under 40K miles in 1992. Powertrain warranty is 36K. The auto transmission went out on it around 40K miles, an O-ring apparently tore(?) and caused a fluid leak which eventually caused the transmission to burn up. (Quickly) I was on the road at the time and did not notice anything wrong until it started slipping.

As it appeared a defective O-ring caused the leak, I asked Nissan to help out with the $2500 bill. Not cover it, but help out with it, as it was just a little over warranty and I didn't think an O ring should fail for no reason. I did not touch the transmission, other than to check fluid color and level.

I know, the warranty was over by 4K miles. However, a relative had a Subaru with 73K miles (36K warranty) and had the transmission go out on it. The dealership offered to and did replace it free, saying this should not have happened.

I wrote Nissan again and spoke to someone on the phone about a little customer satisfaction service, and provided the Subaru example, but got the same response. Guess what kind of car (Actually last two) I drive now? I have also dissuaded at least a few people from buying Nissan's since, I am pleased to say.

Gerry