Netflix / search results

1 Australia

Hi I am studying to work in mental health as a support person and am almost completed my studies . What I have learned is that there is a lot of stigma around mental illness and it effects the lives of the people suffering the illness and their families . Just to see I typed in schizophrenia into the search in Netflix, the results revolved around killing and murder as well as a show called "inside the criminal mind ". I watched this show and found that one of the experts in mental health said that people like Charles Manson are often labelled as mentally ill or insane but in fact are not, they are just plain evil . I'm sure it would shock you to know that people who suffer from a mental illness such as schizophrenia are much more likely to be the victim's of violence than perpetrators and this is largely due to the notion that your service is perpetuating, which is that they are dangerous killers. I want to know what you are going to do to change the perception of people with mental illness as being dangerous killers (as that is what your search results revolve around ) but not necessarily the opinions of the mental health professionals on the shows. You will find a consensus of mental health professionals that will tell you the same thing that I am, which is that this notion which your search results reveal have real world implications in the victimisation of people with mental illness. I'd like to see a real educational show on Netflix about the reality of mental illness which is that they are diseases of the brain with measurable effects on brain matter, they do not mean that you are a danger to society or a 'psycho killer'. I hope you will take this on board and help change the lives of people with mental illness by not perpetuating ideas which make society afraid of them .

Gr