MTN - Sp / breach of contract

I suffered a burglary in the early hours of Thursday, 22 Jan 2009. My cellphones were stolen, of which one was a MTN contract phone. I immediated called the MTN call centre to cancel the sim and blacklist the handset. The call centre was closed and would reopen at 06h00 (2 hours later). I called again at 06h00 and was told I cannot blacklist the handset and should call at 08h00, however, the sim card can be cancelled. This was duly done. At 08h00 I called again and the handet was blacklisted (hopefully). I was informed that I would need to do a simswop at any MTN service provider. Activation could take anything from 2 hours to 48 hours. I duly did the simswop and provided the required documentation, e.g. copy of ID document. 24 hours later I called to enquire how much longer it would take to activate the sim card, this call was made from a pay-phone and more than R60 later, holding on for the call centre and speaking to a consultant, I was still not able to get an answer and my sim card is still not activated. Customer care consultants/call centre personnel are extremely rude, incompetent and just a total waste of time and energy. Made several calls to the call centre subsequently, some calls were answered, mostly went unanswered and FIVE DAYS later, I am still not connected and still left stranded with no communication. I am a contract customer and MTN-SP are not delivering a service they are suppose to and contracted to. They are in breach of contract by not delivering a service they are contracted to deliver to me.

N  6th of Jul, 2009 by
Service center personnel are extremely arrogant.
Has a complaint on a different note, but was told that I should not tell them what to do. Extremely frustrating trying to deal with them, will now resort to e/mail
A  8th of Jul, 2009 by
I totally agree and am also faced with the same situation at the moment. I have been calling the call center for the past four days and each day i am told it will be activated soon and it should take "2 to 24" hrs yet still i am still not connected.
N  11th of Sep, 2009 by
I am on contract with MTN on a mycall 100, and my basic fee is stipulated as R79, 00 pm. For the past year, I have been billed R118, 00 per month. I have also been trying for the past year to get an answer from MTN as to why I am paying R118 pm instead of the R79, 00 as stipulated in my contract. No-one can give me an explanation. I have faxed my complaint in writing to them, giving them 12 hours to respond. They ignored me. I am now going to the press. I am sure there are millions of MTN users who are conned by MTN. Join the party and let us nail them for their non-existing service.
N  31st of Aug, 2010 by
today i realised that my phone has been suspended.i tried to phone the whole day but to help.i am deciding to look for another service provider.i use to rate mtn as my number one.
N  24th of May, 2011 by
My name is Ramond Makhado
I have contract with mtn last month a pay of R414-00 went through from my account of which am given 75mb and R27-00 airtime per each sim card, now last week i requested for a top up of which they did and i only used this for some hours and did not finish the mbs and airtime, now am surprised to find that all my sim card and moderm have been suspended please help me, am very much sad about this because am real dependant on this service or should i look for a better service provider.My e mail address is raykhado@mail.com, cell 084417984 and 0725713657

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa Logo Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa
Customer Care Service