Mr Rooter / Deceptive practices

1 Crowley, TX, United States Review updated:

Had leak in wall. Called Mr Rooter to get the leak fixed, and since the only way to get to the leak would have been to move the 11-year old water heater, also replace the water heater.

Technician came by, poked holes in wall where there was obviously no water pipes, and quoted me $1164 for replacement of water heater. I decided to go to to home store and purchase retail. Four hours later, technician found and fixed leak, installed water heater, and presented me with a bill for $1700+.

Had lengthy argument with technician and "service" manager as to why bill INCREASED when I supplied the major piece of hardware. Basically, they nickel-and-dime you to death. Basic install fee is $500. Removal (drain & cut pipes) is $246, install of new valves (after they conveniently cut off old ones) is $219. 18" PVC flexible gas line is $93. Fixing leak in wall was base rate of $500. BUT, an extra $145 to cut into the drywall, and copper pipe is a whopping $99 per foot.

Agreed on price of $1000 or all work done (it WAS an off-hours call). After tech left (while on phone with wife complaining about how hard he worked for lousy pay), discovered that he scrawled "no warranty" on the receipt. Called and asked for customer service manager, but have not heard back.

Meanwhile, I've placed hold on check, submitted complaint to BBB and am filling out paperwork to Texas Board of Plumbing Examiners

Sb

Comments

• Mo
      3rd of Feb, 2009

Mr. Rooter plumbers get paid by commission. The only way for them to make money is by charging an arm and a leg.

• Mr
      23rd of Jun, 2009

They came to my house, told me how much it was going to cost to fix my toilet before they even started working. They were very clean and professional and they never charge me extra if they have to come out late or on the weekend. I am going to always use Mr Rooter. I am someone that understands it costs more than parts to run a business.

• Ju
      18th of Aug, 2009

Mr. Rooter of Santa Barbara, CA...they advertise as never an overtime charge...that is very misleading! In December 2007 we were charged $300 for snaking our toilet; this was a "discount" off their usual fee of $380. Prior to that, I received two other quotes WITH overtime charges at $165 each PERIOD. I unfortunately went with Mr. Rooter as our tenant did not mention the clog until it was out of hand and they had me over a barrel. They also quoted us $1, 000 to hydrajet our line to the street; this was supposedly a "discount" of $200 off of their supposedly usual fee. Their technician initially quoted my mother $2, 400 to have the same hydrajetting done a month earlier and ended up charging her $1, 200 after she actually cried because of how expensive it was explaining to your technicians that she was retired and on disability...we had the same work done for $400 just a few years earlier. I guess they take advantage of the elderly in addition to ripping people off. I am not going to use Mr. Rooter again and will certainly make sure any of my family and friends know about my disatisfaction with their pricing tactics too. I would much rather pay for an honest company's overtive than someone trying to see how much they can make off someone in distress!

• Mi
      28th of Oct, 2009

We recently had the plumbing in our entire house replaced by Mr. Rooter. Now we have a serious sewer leak and the local franchise that performed the install has gone out of business. Corporate refuses to honor the warranty. We spent more than $6, 000 and now we have sewer gas leaking into our house. We don't know what else could be wrong and I don't want anyone else working on the problem because they could then claim that the company that came in to fix it is responsible for the damage. Had I known that I was working with a mom & pop, I would have contracted with a local, more established family run business. I am going to file a complaint with the Texas State Board of Plumbers, the BBB, the Chamber and the parent company, the Dwyer Group. If that does not present some resolution, then I am going to submit my complaint to the media as the parent company is headquartered in Waco, Texas, only 1 1/2 hours from my home. We were completely mislead and I am not going to drop this issue until I get an appropriate resolution, even if that means that I have to go through legal channels. Any suggestions would be helfpul.