Meijer / checkout lanes

1 Lexington KY, United States

I was at the store on February 15th. I realize I was checking out late (10:45pm), but the only lanes open were for self check out. This is fine, except when you have a large order (I had over 40 items). There is no room to put this many items, and the system won't allow you to bag and put them in your cart until you are completely finished with checking out. Overriding or solving this issue would have eliminated much of my disappointment. I had to carefully stuff all of my items on a very small table which only included 2 bag holders anyway. When I was finally finished, I was continually taking bags from the checkout in front of me to bag my items all the while the computer is constantly and annoyingly telling me to remove all of my items from the bagging area. Mind you, this a while when you have many items. The most frustrating and angering part of all of this was the fact that there were 2 cashiers (or checkout helpers-I'm unsure of their title) who were standing there just talking to each other. The store was not busy, and there were few, if any, other customers also checking out. Neither of them offered to help in any way to make my checkout experience easier. I would have liked to see them offer to open a regular lane, or at least offer to help me bag my items at the end or figure out a way to more easily self checkout with so many items. The table is not big enough for a large order. Not everyone who is shopping later in the evening is buying only a small number of items. I normally enjoy shopping at Meijer, but I was very disappointed in my experience there last night.

St