Maytag Refrigirator / a real disappointment

The stainless steel Maytag refrigerator is a very expensive refrigerator that will look great for about a month. The stainless steel doors are so soft that they dent like butter. Maytag will do nothing about it either, so if you want a good stainless steel refridgerator, look elsewhere, this one is a real disappointment.

Comments

Ct
  17th of Nov, 2006

Never Purchase A Maytag Refrigerator

In March of 2003, I purchased a brand-new Maytag, top mount, refrigerator. In December 2004, the Motor Evaporator Fan stopped working. The refrigerator was only 1 1/2 years old. The Maytag service department installed a new fan and charged me $130 for the service call. They claimed the part was covered by the warranty.

On October 13, 2006, the new fan (now almost 2 years old) died. I called repair shops in our neighborhood, not affiliated with Maytag, and both said that it is unusual to go through more than one fan over the entire life of a refrigerator, let alone two in less than four years.

Maytag's customer "service" response was, "Thank you for visiting our Maytag.com customer service page. We appreciate your interest in our products and service. We cannot predict the life of any single part, so we provide a warranty to assist with repair costs. In some instances, parts may need replacing after the warranty expires and the owner is responsible for the repair." Then, they recommended that I call the service department and schedule an appointment.

I sent a follow up note and explained that something larger than the fan is obviously wrong if a new refrigerator is burning through fans every two years. Their response was that the fan is no longer under warranty and that there is nothing they can do for me. Obviously they ignored my question about a larger issue.

I ended up purchasing the motor locally and having it installed by a local, non-Maytag affiliated, repair company. All of this cost less than the $130 that I paid two years ago for Maytag to do the work when it was covered by the warranty. Simply amazing.

Ha
  6th of Feb, 2007

Harris & Susan Guidroz February 5, 2007
330 Tilton Road
Monticello, MS 39654
(601) 587-8052
TimberCreekKennel@yahoo.com

To Whom It May Concern:

We owned a Maytag Model number PBF1HEW Serial Number 1059876GA Purchased on June 9, 2005. In the last week of October 2006 it stop cooling. After going through hoops and hurdles for many weeks, we finally found someone who Maytag approved of to come out and look at the unit. He found that it was a leak with the sealed unit and was under warranty; all except his driving out to my house which cost $60. He “repaired the unit” and left. The unit never did cool. We called him back the next morning and he stated that Maytag wanted him to replace the line that leaked. He had to order the part. He came out and replaced the part. The unit did not work, but he still thought that he could repair it, but said he needed to take the unit, which he did. Latter we found out that the part it needed was not sold. Maytag agreed to replace the unit. Maytag stated that they would send a credit to Lowe’s on January 3, and that we could choose from any refrigerator that we wanted that was is the Maytag line, regardless of the price we had paid for the original and it would not cost us a penny. We called Lowe’s that Saturday and they knew nothing about it. We called back Maytag and told them that Lowe’s did not have the credit. They stated that they would send the credit again via fax, but the fax may take 3 days to reach Lowe’s system. They truly must think we are ###ed.. We requested that they should send us a copy of the credit also via fax. (Our fax system must be much faster than Lowe’s as it came within minutes.) Maytag sent us something different than they sent Lowe’s. Ours stated that we could pick from the stock within the Maytag line. The Lowe’s credit stated that We had a $581 credit, less than our original purchase. We stated that we could not replace the unit that we had for that price. After making argument with us, we prevailed and Maytag agreed to replace the unit with one like we had. On January 17, we agreed on a unit to replace the one that we had. Maytag stated that they would deliver this unit to us and pick up the old unit. Maytag stated that this was to take 7 to 10 days at the most, but would probably be less. We have been without a unit now for 3 months. We called to find out why it was taking so long, as it had been 15 days and still no unit. They said that the delivery company did not have enough people to deliver ours yet. They offered to send us $100 to rent one until we get our refrigerator. I doubt seriously that $100 will cover the cost of a delivered rental. It is now February 5, 2007 with still no refrigerator. We have been lied to and mistreated. We want something to be done and are to the point of great anger at Maytag. Friends and family are thinking that we are stupid for being so patient and should sue Maytag. I am beginning to believe them.

Li
  14th of Apr, 2007

November 2004 we bought a new stainless steel French door-freezer on bottom refrigerator. then in August of 05 the memory board went out and we lost a lot of food. the came, replaced the board and everything was working fine. But in March of 2007 the refrigerator went out again. This was a mess I was getting ready for a big.

Confirmation party and lost once again all my food. not happy i called they came out to fix it this time it was the exaportor fan. this cost me $230.40 to fix. it took the repair man less than 45 minutes to put in. I just want you to know that I'm not happy with all the reaps I have to put in this new appliance, and I see others have had the same problems.

Model # MF D2560HES S/N 10885244ER

Li
  11th of Dec, 2007

I have 4 Maytag Products all purchased within the last 4 years and I have already had to have service on 3 of them. My stove still is not right. My dryer went out before it was even 1 year old and now my dishwasher which was purchased in June of 2005 and installed in August 2005. It has CHEAP plastic parts and now will cost me 160.86 to repair because, has the repair man put it, Maytag sets the price for labor. I remember the days when the commercials for Maytag were of Mayteg repair men doing nothing and now I have had to have 3 of my 4 Maytag appliances repair all before they were 4 years old. I am discusted and will NEVER buy a Maytag appliance again. I tried to get satisfaction from the people I spoke with on the phone and they were only willing to pay for the parts which are around 75.00. I can not believe to repair 2 PLACTIC parts would be over 240.00 to fix on a dishwasher LESS than 3 years old. I have NEVER felt so ripped off in my life and will NEVER buy another Maytag product.

I truly feel that Maytag's merge is the worst thing you could have done. Maytag used to be such an excellent product and now I have had to have 3 of my 4 Brand New Maytag appliances that I purchased for my new home repair before they were 4 years old... shame on you for selling such inferior plastic crap !!! I have been married 21 years and have always had Maytag appliances... but NEVER again!!!

Ps
  10th of Feb, 2010

Just ordered my 3rd evaporator fan for my Maytag fridge Model MTB2156GEB which I bought in August of 2003. First fan went, after about three years. Called service payed about $250.00 for serivce and part, last one went on May of 2008, Ordered online for 56.00 + shipping, just checked it cuase things were getting thawed again and sure enough now the third fan went, this is definetley not the fan alone, somethiong is causing this. I can't believe I am putting the 4th fan in and it's only lees than seven years old, I too will e-mail Maytag but I'm sure it willl go no where.