Match.com / blocking practices

1 PA, United States Review updated:

I had been a member on match.com for over a year and a half. I did find someone and dated for about 7 months. During that time, I hid my profile and stopped my subscription. Unfortunately, things did not work out with the woman and we parted ways. Last night I went back onto Match.com, unhid my profile and signed up for 3 months of service. After signing up, I was able to update my profile and send an email to a potential date. Now this is where it gets good...about two hours later I get an e-mail from Match.com stating that my account has been blocked and I was suppose to call an 1-800 number. I called the number and it was backgroundchecks.com, the company that does checks for Match.com. They informed me that they blocked my account because of something that came up on a report that they ran on me. They then told me that I needed to contact Match.com for more information. I called Match.com and they said that they are not supplied this information so I would need to call backgroundchecks.com back to rectify the problem. Long story short, I got no where by talking to backgroundchecks.com and the process of getting my record cleared, for whatever is on the report, sounds like a complete hassle.

So, my problem is 1) why does Match.com not have more control over the company that they use to do the background checks. I did research and backgroundchecks.com is not BBB accredited but the BBB still gave them an overall rating of C+. 2) Why does Match.com activate accounts before the background process has been completed. After being on the phone for an hour last night trying to get this issue resolved, I asked Match.com for a refund. They told me that they could not refund my money because my account was blocked and because I agreed to the terms, they could not refund my money. From a consumer's standpoint, this sounds like a scam in that a background check is not performed first before taking your money. I understand the reasoning and logic behind the background checks and I am glad they do that. What gets me is that I know have to prove my innocence and this will cost me more money.

After I got off the phone, I did a background check on myself through Beenverified.com. Beenverified.com is not BBB accredited either but the BBB gave them an overall rating of an A. And amazing, when I got my report, there was not one single criminal record, aliases, liens, or anything else that should have caused backgroundchecks.com to block my Match.com. My criminal record is clean but now I wonder what I have to do to clear my name.

All I am asking for is a refund but I know that will not happen unless I go through backgroundchecks.com and contest the report. So I am wondering how much that is going to cost me...and I wonder if Match.com will get a kick back!

So really though, this complaint is directed towards both Match.com and backgroundchecks.com

Da
May 16, 2013

Comments

• Co
      16th of May, 2013

" They told me that they could not refund my money because my account was blocked and because I agreed to the terms, they could not refund my money"

In spite of the fact that the terms you agreed to say no refund, I think you should consider small claims court. There is a thing in law know as unjust enrichment. You could also try contacting your attorney general to see if they have violated any state laws.

18th of May, 2013

Did the woman you dated say something to match.com to have you blocked from the site? Did the relationship end badly? You never know with some women.

30th of May, 2016

Similar situation for me the past few days. I used to be a member from 2002-2007, had a great time, lots of both good and bad dates.
    Just reactivated my account a few days ago, changed a bunch of stuff as I am now older and more mature(44 yo male). Got a ton of winks and emails from age appropriate women within last 72 hours but I hadn't subscribed yet and glad I didn't. They officially terminated my account and although they did not tell me about any background check.

Basically they won't tell me anything it's very shady business practice and they really should be shut down

• Mu
      18th of Jun, 2016

I signed up for a 1 month membership - which currently retails at USD $39.99 - but was presented with a pop that offered 3 months for $65.99. I figured this was a better deal, and since I hadn't used pay sites before, I assumed the customer service as well as the general membership quality would be superior to free sites. Sure enough, I uploaded G-rated photos of myself, input the correct information in my profile, and fleshed out my description sufficiently to show some effort without overdoing it. To pass the time, I added profiles I found interesting to my favorites and received a few e-mails which were answered promptly and politely. Next thing I know, my account is blocked and I'm logged out. I tried to call customer service, but their business hours are limited to 9-5 during weekdays and this occurred on a Saturday evening. The system automatically sent me an e-mail informing me of the black and asking me for information about myself, which was provided. I haven't heard back yet and may not til next week, at which that I'll call them. But if the post made by the author of this thread is accurate, it looks like I'm out about $85 CAD. Terrible service/website.

• Mo
      9th of Sep, 2016

Match.com is a HUGE SCAM!! I registered for a free 7 days trial and i was getting a lot of email and winks. As soon as i make payment for a 6 months premium membership, my account got terminated. I called the 1800 phone number and a lady with a heavy Phillippino accent answered the phone. She said that it might be their automated software algorithm, that she would transfer me to a technical department which she did. The technical department guy told me that they are sorry that my profile can not be reactivated for a reason best known to them. I ask what the reason was, but they wouldn't tell me and that's how i lost $129 to a rip off company. This is getting out of control, somebody need to put them on a blast in the mainstream media so that more and more people won't fall victim to their SCAM.

• Wo
      16th of Aug, 2017

Major scam. Many of the profiles are fake and even have the same wording.

The customer service is pitiful.

International users are now expected to open an account for every country.

Most of the users are "free" and cannot read or reply to your paid message. Of course, they do not want you to know this.

• Me
      22nd of Mar, 2018

I have received one week trial membership by texting "match" to 33898, as they currently advertise on TV - and I also paid for one month membership, which should start once the free trial week would end. If I changed my mind and did not want my one month membership that I paid for, I could revoke it before the end of the free trial week, their web information said.
    I posted my profile and photos, and they approved them. I also had them verify my email address, which is an option that they offer and that makes your profile "more credible", they say.
    A day later, however, they blocked my account for no reason whatsoever and without informing me that they did or explaining, why. I wanted to log in and could not. The system did not let me log in and a note appeared: "Your account was blocked. Send an email to resolution@..." and there was also a note that they would respond in 2 days - and that they do not work during weekends (and it happened on Friday afternoon) and that only paying members would be given a phone number to call them. (I WAS a paying member but they did not give me the phone number.)
    Obviously, their response to my email would reach me only at the point in time when my free trial week would expire... and since I was not allowed to log in to my account, I could also not cancel my paid membership in time and they would thus charge me $ 40 for one more month of membership that I would not receive... and now that I have read the posts of other members that have been scammed by Match.com in similar ways, I strongly believe that they willfully do these things.

• Do
      31st of Mar, 2018

I recently lost my wife who had been battling cancer for 14 years. I signed up on Match.com Mar 29, 2018, spent 4 hours putting together my profile, including collecting and posting pictures. The next day, I spent another 5 hours looking over match profiles, sending likes to people who I thought was a good match, and then was blocked by Match.com without any explanation, or e-mail notified as to the reasons why. The block message said I had to e-mail customercare support, which I did in the hope that someone explain to me the reasons given the time invested. I received an automated e-mail response with an incident number: 180330-001987, stating that someone would reply to me within 48 hours. Frustrated, I looked over Match.com help page where it indicated to check my credit card to see if it had been refunded, which it was to my surprise. Puzzled, I called the 1-800 number associated to the credit transaction, and was told that Match.com had my file and refused to comment as why I was being punished, repeating that someone from Match.com corporate would e-mail me. Losing my wife was bad enough, my experience with Match.com had to make dating again a nightmare. Worst customer service I have ever experienced and I would not recommend Match.com to anyone. Regards, Doug Jones.

• Na
      19th of Jul, 2018

@DougJones God bless you, Doug. I pray things worked out for you.

• Bh
      24th of Aug, 2018

I added two words to my profile. Stated that I was leaving Match earlier, then added "on Tuesday." Got an email saying that they could not approve my updated profile because it was promoting violent or illegal activities. The site is a scam. Nothing on my approved profile was changed except for "on Tuesday." Nothing on my profile promoted anything of the sort. The site is garbage.

• Ju
      3rd of Sep, 2018

It appears that Match.Com is blocking accounts that use web browsers that block pop-ups from appearing, without any explanation, other than your email/password is incorrect (which it isn't). After the second or third attempt entering your email/password combination, it blocks one out. Since the Image CAPTCHA is a pop-up window which never appears if it is being blocked by the web browser, it just thinks one errored on the email/password entry, eventually blocking out the account after 2 or 3 attempts...

... Do not use Match.Com until they fix this!