Macy's Visa Credit Card / customer service reps - don't speak english well

1 MD, United States Review updated:

Macy's Visa Customer Service reps do not speak or understand English very well; actually... I shouldn't generalize... but the two I spoke to (2 months apart) were damned awful. I believe they are outsourced to India, as many companies do these days.

-Both times I was asked to repeat myself 2 or 3 times through the whole conversation.
-Many times, they asked me to spell out a word and even a numeral more than once. I mean, if I have to spell out the number 2 (two), there is something wrong here! Especially when you are dealing with my money and credit rating.
-Very long and silent pauses between each answer
-In this recent instance, they called me on my cell phone requesting payment information, and when I called back with the information they requested, they couldn't locate my account by my cell phone number! Really? You JUST called me on that number. After 10 minutes on the phone trying to locate my account, he asked me more questions and I just hung up!
-The first time I called, I didn't have my account number in front of me and they also couldn't locate my account, either by name, address, SS# or cell phone. They finally found it but since I didn't have my card right in front of me they started asking me security questions. I had to get 3 answers correct before they would do anything with my account. On the one hand, I'm glad that they are that secure but I couldn't answer all of them.
-They asked me questions like, my first boyfriend's name, how many cities have I lived in, the color and type of the first car I had (the one my parents let me drive or the first one I bought?), my first elementary school! I couldn't believe it! For my car answer, I said "tan Chevette". My original answer must have been "beige Chevette". Of course they didn't understand that "tan" and "beige" are practically the same color! Ugh...
-Anyway, I am going to call back several times over the next few days, requesting my balance, next payment due, last payment paid...and record each and every one of those calls and find someone to give them to!
-I would suggest that if you need customer service go to your Macy's store and work it out there. Otherwise, beware.

Li

Comments

• Ni
      16th of Apr, 2009

Mayc's has outsourced their customer service to perhaps the worst group of people EVER. It's appalling because even though their English is serviceable, the nuances of American English is LOST on them. A call that should have been resolved in 10-15 minutes...is STILL going on 1 HOUR 29 MINUTES LATER!!! I am CLOSING THESE ACCOUNTS. I don't know why in the world these people even bother answering the phone because while they are trying their best, their best simply is not sufficient.

• Ti
      7th of Jun, 2009

i disagree with the perspective that they do not have good service. I think they have excellent customer service, but only based on my only two experiences calling macys visa customer service. both times, i got reps who understood me and were very clear. they did not sound foreign at all, very American in fact. i am sure they were americans, but i want to mention that i am not bias, as long as the employee does a good job. they answered my questions perfectly. i never had to wait long at all to get customer service via the number on my card i dialed. i have enjoyed using the card and this is one of the reasons.

• Up
      26th of Nov, 2012

I completely agree that Macy's customer service is horrific! I called about a payment and spent over an hour and a half on the phone with a woman who was telling me that my English was poor and my issue has gotten worse after I notice she took the payment amount! I'm usually very tolerant and patience with thick accents, but she was beyond rude after she started yelling at me. This was the worse customer service I have ever received in my entire life. I gave Macy's feedback, but I just got the generic 'We apologize and Thank You for your feedback'. Some of the service at the stores has also deteriorated. I try to avoid going to Macy's and if I go, I avoid using the Macy's credit card.