Macy's / black friday

1 Lewisville, TX, United States

Macy's had a full-page color ad with their infamous $10 off $25 purchase coupon for Black Friday. I did not so much have an issue with all of the exclusions on it, as with the additional comment they printed under the coupon, stating "OR use it Fri-Sat till 1 pm as our gift to you" . I pointed it out to several customers in line, to verify my logic and they agreed that it does sound like it was also intended to be used without the minimum purchase of $25 requirement. The manager of the store, however, stated that there is no difference between the coupon and the "OR" statement below it. I asked why would they re-state the same offer using "OR" statement, but she was unable to answer it. It's like it was either use it as "A" OR as "A"? - made no sense to me. In addition, the extra 15% off coupon they had going on the same day stated it was additional 15% off on "ALL SALE AND CLEARANCE ITEMS" in clothing. I got three items for my daughter off the clearance rack, but was unable to use the coupon because the cashier explained that the clearance items I got were the "final" clearance items (marked down twice), which made them 'super buys' which made them ineligible for the coupon. Huh? The clearance rack sure did not say "Super Buys", neither did coupon mention that there would be difference between "initial clearance" and "subsequent clearance". It stated plainly "all sale and clearance items". It was a frustrating experience, because I did feel it was false advertisement in its pure form. Not that I badly needed my 15% discount, I was just disappointed in their scam-like approach to marketing. If I can, I will return later to upload the scanned copies of the coupons.