Macy's / missed payment

We haven't missed a payment on a credit card in years - somehow a paperless statement from Macy's got missed and we missed a payment. The very next month before we were aware of the missed payment, and before we could make the back missed payment, Macy's sent us to collection. As we are just refinancing our house, this lowered one of our credit scores over 50 points, and will cost us over $30, 000 dollars for the life of the loan. Macy's refuses to fix our credit account, and the bad thing is it made us so mad we cancelled our Macy's account - I'm sure that will further screw our credit score. Macy's is now a four letter word in our household. Don't get a Macy's credit card - it can come back to haunt you, as the 10% saved by opening the account can cost you big time in the end. Macy's Christmas spirit is bah humbug

Comments

• Aj
      7th of Dec, 2010

Well I guess you are a very organized person - I use major credit card to pay for most all of my purchases and have a very simple pay plan - just pay the credit card bill. Our mistake is that Macy's opened 5 different credit cards for me and my wife - with five different numbers at five different stores. We have now cancelled all our little retail store cards as they don't provide the real time service that our American Express, Visa does - I have never ever had a problem with American Express or Visa - they are there for me and help me deal with minor problems as they arise. They also alert me to a potential problem Maybe you don't have any money, and don't have but two bills a month.I have also never gotten unemployment and have been self employed since I was 5 years old, so I am not an idiot about money. Sorry if I trash your beloved Macy's, but I have been making every payment on time for over 30 years - By the way, do you keep gas mileage on your car? Because if you know every bill you owe each month, you must know your mileage down to the tenth of a mile, and I quit figuring mileage in 1990

• Ld
      18th of Dec, 2010

I am having the same exact experience! I never realized I had more than one account with them! Here is a copy of a letter I wrote to them today. We are about to either refinance or purchase a new home, and I have excellent credit. Don't need Macy's messing me up.

To Macy's:
    I have had a terrible experience with my Macy's American Express, and am prepared to cancel all of my Macy's accounts. I received a call today informing me that my account is over 60 days past due and that I have been reported to a credit bureau. I was not aware that I was behind.

1) I was not aware I have two accounts, store and AmEx - I never knowingly signed up for an extra account!
    2) I have not received bills for the AmEx and did not know I was two months overdue. I made a payment last month on a Macy's account, so thought I was good.
    3) I received a call that because I am overdue, I am being reported to a credit agency. I was not notified prior to this that there was an outstanding balance. Why was I not contacted earlier by phone or email? I did not deliberately maintain an overdue balance.

I have spent thousands of dollars at Macy's in the last several months. You used to be my department store of choice. I just attempted to pay the full balance of the AmEx online. I will call the credit department and cancel all my accounts once balances are registered as zero. I do not need this threat to my excellent credit rating, and expected to be treated better, as a loyal Macy's customer. If any accounts were overdue it was because of the very confusing Macy's financial dealings. I am very very disappointed. I would like to be contacted to be assured that my credit rating will not be affected and that any late fees are credited. Please contact me, at least initially, by email. I have wasted entirely too much time on the phone on my weekend.