Macys / late charge

Our CU sent an electronic payment on the 13th of February for a bill due by the 15th (Sunday) which was posted to my account on Monday the 16th. A charge of $25 was added to our fifty dollar bill for it was late.

Facts:
1 Macys states payments received by 5pm are posted that day.
2 The CU sends electronic payments in the early am.

I called the "customer service" and was told they would reverse the charge as soon as s/he talkked with their supervisor. The answer came back that they could only remove $10. I lost it, stating forget it I will pay the whole amount BUT close this account.

Comments

• Re
      4th of Jul, 2013

I had a similar experience, the thing is. My account balance was 25.00 and they charged me 27.00 late fee. I explained that I had always been good at paying, but I lost my job and needed a few more days. What a shame, I paid the fine, closed my account and will not return to the store. I understand that one has to be responsible for their debt owed and always have been good until now and hopefully this is a temporary setback. But couldn't they prorate the late fee and at least look at the total amount to determine the fee. It seems to me they could help those who are hurting by changing one business rule when charging late fees. It appears that Macy's is not about putting the customer first, but in how they can maximize their gains and punish their loyal customers, What a shame!!! They could hire me and then I could help them build consumer confidence and eliminate the nonsense. ;0)

• Mr
      17th of Jan, 2015

They did the same thing to me. The due date was a Sunday and my payment for the full $36 balance was posted on Monday and they charged a $35 late fee. They are refusing to credit back the fee and continue to charge me a late charge on the late charges. I am a long time account holder and even had my wedding registry with Macy's. I am closing my account and will not be shopping at Macy's again.