[Resolved] Macy Furniture Store/Alan White Design / defective couch

Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:
4.4
On February 9th, 2006 I purchased a new couch from Macy Furniture Store, 4130 Gandy Blvd, Tampa, Fl 33611.
It was made by Alan White and was a sectional with a couch and a cuddler section. Material: Microfiber
I purchased the extended warranty and paid a total of 1732.06.
Approximately, 10-11 months later, 2 cushions on the couch split at the seams. I called Macy Furniture store and spoke to my sales consultant Monica Quiding. I was told that Macy no longer sold this type of couch. Ms. Quiding told me that she could send me some replacement cushions or I could get another couch of equal value.
I was told that I had two defective cushions and the replacement cushions would rectify my problem. As I liked the couch and was assured that the new cushions would not be defective I agreed to have Macy's send new cushions.
At the present, the couch cushions are continually splitting. I now have two back cushions that have split at the seams and one seat cushions that are split.
I researched Alan White 2006 furniture and apparently there was some poorly/defective furniture constructed.
On December 31, 2008 I contacted Macy's Customer service and spoke to a supervisor "Bau" and was offered a 400.00 gift card as a courtesy. I explained to Bau that I paid a total (taxes/warranty) 1732.06 for a defective couch and when I called under warranty I was assured by Sale Consultant Ms. Quiding that the replacement cushions would rectify the problems. Bau offered me a 400.00 gift card. I explained that to fix this couch it would more than 400.00. Bau told me he would call me on 01-02-09.
On 01-02-09, Bau did not call. I called Bau and was told he no longer worked in the department and a voice message gave me another number.
I called a customer service number [protected].
I spoke to Jay Lee at customer service. I again explained that I was sold defective furniture and I was calling to rectify this matter. Jay Lee put me on hold and talked to a supervisor 'Stacy'.
Afar returning to the phone, Jay Lee told me that Macy would not rectify my problem as the furniture was out of warranty. I asked to speak to Stacy. Stacy (supervisor) stated that Macy's was not going to rectify my problem as they sent me new cushions in 2007. I told Stacy that the couch was defective and the cushions sent did not rectify the problem of splitting cushions. Stacy refused to offer any reconciliation (i.e. store credit). I mentioned to Stacy that on December 31, 2008, Bau was offered 400.00 store credit which I declined as I have to either fix the couch (well over 1000.00) or replace the couch (well over 1000.00).
Stacy stated she would have to talk to other supervisor Bau as she had no record of this offer. After being put on hold for 10 minutes, Stacy returned and verified the 400.00 offer.
I told Stacy that I was sold a defective couch that after approx 3 years has large seam splits on 3 cushions and at 400.00 gift card will not fix the problems.
I have requested a couch of equal value to replace the defective couch that Macy sold me as I was Ms. Quiding clearly stated that I DID NOT have a defective couch rather I had a couple of cushions that needed replacing.
At the present, the problem has reoccurred. I have photos of the 3 cushions and the it clearly shows again splitting of seams.
At no time did anyone inform this was a factory defect rather, I was told the replacement cushions would solve my problem. I am now left with a couch with 3 large seam splits. I have photos.

Resolution statement

Macy's Customer Care's Response, Feb 12, 2009
Hello all of you. Please call 888-822-6229 and request furniture and bedding customer service. Then ask for Janet Rodgers she will give you new pieces. Hope this helps.
Sa

Comments

Bf
  3rd of Feb, 2009
I purchased Alan White sofa, loveseat, chair from Macy's segveral years ago and Macy's never fully solved the problem that I was having with the seat and back cushions. within one month of purchase, the back loose cushions lost all their share, the seat cushions collapsed, and the sofa sunk in at the middle between the two seat cushions. Macy's sent replacement cushions, which after a very short while, did the same thing. When I called my complaint back to Macy's, they told me that what they had done should have solved the problem and they couldn't do anything else. I realize that Alan White furniture is mid-level in pricing, but nevertheless, it should hold up at least during the warranty period---it did not.

So, as far as standing before their merchandise, Macy's gets a very poor score, and regarding quality in the Alan White furniture, I WOULD NOT BUY AGAIN.
Ir
  9th of Feb, 2009
Anyone purchasing furniture from Macy's should be aware of the fact Macy's does not stand behind the merchandise. To Macy's once you have the furniture it is your problem. If you have an immediate problem they will return it the first three days with a fee. If complaint is not done timely you must have a technician come out to look at it. The technician is not a Macy's employee and believe me Macy's does not go out of their way to get the best and the brightest. Technician will tell you merchandise will be replaced but it won't, they will say it can be repaired. Basically, if they do a decent job, not always, you have repaired merchandise they you pay the price of new merchandise. God forbide you buy a company out of business. You are out of luck. The problem with Alan White has been ongoing for two years and Macy's does nothing.
Gr
  6th of Jun, 2011
I purchased a sectional couch and within three weeks five (5) yea five springs had let go and broke out through the bottom of the unit. Factory said return it and in two week they will repair and retun fixed. So now my family sits on the floor for two week what crap.

Macy's Logo Macy's