LifeTime Fitness / trail membership

1 WillowbrookHouston, TX, United States Review updated:

My wife went into the Lifetime Fitness in Houston to inquire about club dues.

She stated that she did not want to join because we were a member of another club and just wanted rates. The salesman showed her the club and got her all fired up about joining and my wife was becoming convinced.

My wife told the salesman that she wanted to join but would wait until she had canceled her membership with the other club. The salesman then LIED to my wife and told her that if she signed up that day, she would not be charged anything for one month (the amount of notice we needed to give the other health club) and she would be given access to the club immediately.

She was ensured that nothing was going to be charged to her account until after the 30 day trial membership. Too good to be true... absolutely.

They had charged her credit card immediately. When we discovered this we very upset because the salesman misled my wife.

We went back the next day and canceled our membership and demanded a refund. The manager assured us that their salespeople do not purposely mislead people and that the refund would be posted to her account in a handful (which traditionally represents a small amount) of days.

Well, it has been over a month and we called the corporate office. They have a record of our cancellation but know nothing of our refund. We called and left a message at our local Lifetime Fitness but can't get a hold of anyone who can grant us a refund.

DO NOT JOIN THIS CLUB before finding out everything you can about the conditions of membership. And expect the cancellation process, whenever that may be, to be lengthy and costly.

Jw

Comments

• Pr
      30th of Jan, 2009

You don't want to join Lifetime Fitness. They harass you to get you to use your charge card for monthly membership dues withdrawal - they like control of your bank account! If you don't subject yourself to what they mandate and insist on making payments monthly by check or cash, they will find unique accounting strategies to screw up your account by saying your late when you know you are not or they have no record of receiving your payment that you know you already paid! By the time you exhaust yourself in trying to resolve these issues which are not your fault, it will seem as if you've successfully completed a course in psyche in the area of "dysfunctional thinking processes."

When you try to escalate a complaint to the owner of this company, you getl his bozo's in corporate who understand the game of chess and they play it well. Their level of intelligence will leave you with concerns or with a rash.

Also, the exercise equipment is not kept up (even after 9 months that you complain that a part is missing.) And, when you enter the club and find your way to the Spa or restaurant, there may be wardens spying behind you if you forget to check in with your card before doing so. I came in one time to get a carry-out for lunch from the restaurant and was delayed because I had to check in first in a long line when I wasn't even there to work out. Did you know that the these same wardens even document erroneous data into the club's computer system about you for their own misuse?

Bottom line - if you are a classy lady or gentlemen looking for a great health club - this is not the one.

• Ca
      13th of Mar, 2009

Have you thought of reporting them to the Better Business Bureau? What that sales person did is unethical and lacks integrity that Life Time Fitness claims to be all about. This happens everyday at that company. As a former employee I am sorry about your experience, yet it doesn't surprise me. It would be advantageous of you to write to the Owner of Life Time Fitness to let him know you are less than pleased with the lack of integrity his company has.

• Ex
      30th of Mar, 2010

Life Time Fitness sucks (referring to Warrenville location).

I used to be a member for 2+ years, then moved to another place and returned for a week, so decided to use an offer from their web site for a free week membership. My fault I was honest with them that I am not based there, and my fault I just told them that if I not gonna get the free week, I can just become a member and then cancel the membership. Was suggested to buy 2 weeks for 80$, and then a higher level manager increased it to 100$.

In the end they kicked me out - I pissed off a manager and his boss (I was polite, but demanding).
    The service is extremely rude - they do not want customers who might end up not joining the gym.

The fitness center is nice, lots of equipment etc, but they almost killed their reputation for me...

So... DO NOT JOIN!! They want your money and they don't care about you as a customer...