LA Fitness / don't let them scam you on membership cancellation!

United States Review updated:

I was able to cancel my month-to-month membership immediately!

They told me I'd have to get a form from the club or print it out from their website and mail it in. (Apparently, this is in the original contract when you sign up!) I told them that that wasn't acceptable, since my next billing was going to be in 5 days.

I tried calling the 800-number but the member services option didn't work.

So I went to the club and the manager dialed someone from the phone on the reception desk. Great move, since anyone coming in could hear what I said.

I asked the representative to tell me what number I could call in the future for member services - she wouldn't!

After I refused the snail mail option (how can they sign me up immediately but cancel my membership only by snail mail?), she told me that she could process the cancellation over the phone, but that it would take 5 days, and since today was the 23rd and my next billing was the 28th ... wait for it ... I would have to pay another month! I told her I'd tell my credit card company to reject any future charges from them.

Finally, she told me to talk to "Brian" at the gym, who would cancel my membership. Who's he? The guy sitting at the other end of the reception desk. Would she need to talk to him to let him know? He's been listening to the call the whole time! Creepy! That would explain why she kept saying "Yes" and "OK" on the phone and have long pauses, but not in response to me.

So he cancels my membership, effective immediately, as easy as pie, and sends me an e-mail confirmation on the spot.

Oh, and the gym? There are no towels, the classes were often overfilled, I often had to wait for equipment, and one of the trainers kept bothering me and others in the middle of our workouts to sign up with him for a free training session. And half of their free training session is a sales pitch. Ugh!

Gl

Comments

• Me
      13th of Jun, 2011

I am also having trouble cancelling the membership for my son and his girlfriend who are no longer in this country as he had to travel to China for his job.This company wants the flight details, address where they are !!! however, what i find more important is that after having a shower after workout in the gym, it was as though he was burnt from top to bottom. The emergency dept said he had an adverse reaction to the chemicals they use in the water!!! "2 weeks of work and now they have sent debt collection agency to try to claim over £700 where they got that figure from unbelievable and again no joy on the phone. I am now going to set up camp outside and leaflet people going in and out to warn them of this membership scam