Krogerrefusal of service animal

11/30/2016 - I Sharon Bailey, had entered Kroger on Stone Drive in Kingsport Tennessee with my service dog, Bella. Upon entering the store and stopping at Customer Care to speak to my husband Ronald Bailey, Lori Odell called to another lady and pointed to me. Ms Hannah Bays, a manager, came to me and asked if my dog was a service animal. I told her that she was a service animal. She then asked for a certificate for Bella. I did not have one on me and Ms Bays proceeded to advise me that I would have to remove the animal from the premises. I did as she asked. this is considered discrimination because, according to the service animal law, you can only ask 2 questions -- 1) is the animal a service animal, and 2) what is the condition. It is against the law to ask for any documentation. At this point I felt I was singled out by Lori Odell and then discriminated against by Hannah Bays. A few days later, Ron took Bella's ID to Ms Bays and showed her that Bella was truly a service dog. She did apologized to Ron for her actions.

This is not the first time that I have been singled out by Lori Odell. My husband, Ronald Bailey, is an employee at this Kroger store and we had just gotten back together after an 8 year separation. This occurred in April of 2015. In May of 2015, I had gone to Kroger to shop and was using my husbands discount card. Lori Odell proceeded to advise my daughter and myself that only Ron could use the Kroger card. It was only for the employee and no one else. Ron had told me that it was for the family to use. Here I felt singled out because she made the comment to me only. The person in front of me used a Kroger card and nothing was said to them.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Kingsport, TNAbout a year later after Ron's heart attack and open heart surgery I had gone into the store to get my husbands disability check cashed. Lori Odell was at the Customer Care counter and there was a cashier at the register directly across from Customer Care, The cashier had made a comment about a bag boy being late for his shift. Lori Odell, with me standing in front of her, made the comment that he was following in Ron's footsteps. She had said that Ron was always late coming to work. There were people at both the Customer Care and the register that heard the comments.
Ron has also told me of times where Lori Odell had singled him and caused issues for him. The latest was on 5/11/2017 when Ron had gone out to check the buggies in the parking lot. Lori Odell got on the intercom and called for Mr Burton. She had told him that Ron was out smoking when he was not on break. He advised Lori Odell and Mr Burton that he was out checking the buggies and did not smoke. He was out there only a couple of minutes when he heard the page.
Sine Ron Bailey, my husband, is an employee there, I do continue to do a little shopping there. I now do a lot of shopping at the local Wal-Mart because I am not singled out or harassed when I take Bella with me.
I am a disabled veteran. I don't deserve this treatment. I have already made a claim with Kroger Corporate Office in February 2017 and the only response I received was that there was a backlog and I would hear from them shortly. It has been 6 months and I still have heard nothing. This is the second notification. I am also contacting the Attorney General of Tennessee because of no correspondence in regards to the discrimination claim. I have been advised to contact an attorney but I haven't because I am giving Kroger a chance to respond. If there is no response within 2 weeks, I will consider talking to an attorney.

Sh
May 12, 2017

Comments

•   May 12, 2017

Does your husband know you wrote this and posted it on a PUBLIC website, where anyone can view it?!! Why would you not address concerns privately again with Corporate or wait for a response? You stated you contacted them 2/2017 and it's been 6 months. No honey, Feb to May is NOT 6 months!!! I wonder if your husband will keep his job.