Kohl's / Kohl's tries to steal, watch out!

I received an email 10/3/2007, from Kohls about a promo. So, I decided to browse their website, because of the holidays and I have 2 birthdays coming up, soon.

After about 45 min, or so, I placed my order. To my surprise, it stated that my order could not be processed. So, I double checked the card number, and tried to resubmit, & got the same response, so I decided that, maybe I maxed out the card (I had placed several orders via internet/other stores that same day). So I used a different card, the same thing happened, and I tried again.

That's when I called the customer service line. The operators told me that her computer was down, and I said, well forget it, it was not meant to be.

I clicked on my email, and noticed 2 charges deducted from my account, for the same amount, from Kohls department store.

So, I called customer service, again, to find out what was going on, meanwhile I am expecting a confirmation number to appear in my email. I was told that my card was not being charged, these were "holds", placed on my card, because they do not have an authorization number, yet. If, I wanted to take off these charges, that I would have to contact my bank.

When I called my bank, I was told that there were 2 authorization numbers given for these transactions, and the store would have to contact them, because they have given then the funds. I even spoke to a "supervisor", but neither person asked me for my name to look at my account, and see what I was talking about. She argued that she went thru the same thing, etc.; I did not care to hear her sob story about a company she works for.

Third time, calling customer service, I was told that she could fax my card company, and have it removed in 24 hours, I gave her all of the required information, with the expectation of my funds appearing back on my card by Friday am, at the latest.

When I got off the phone I remembered that I tried to use another card, for this same transaction. So, I double checked my account balance, and, yes, they charged my card twice.

For the forth time I called, and spoke to the rudest person in the world, I will admit, I was extremely upset "hot as fish grease", by this point. I was not the happiest camper in the world, but working customer service, you are not to feed into another person's attitude (I have experience in customer service working in the healthcare industry). So, she is talking over me while I am explain my whole nightmare to her, she was speaking in a mocking tone. She told me she could not process anything for me until I gave her the fax number to my bank, I ,still, do not understand why I would have a fax number, but if I gave the number to contact, why Kohls would not be responsible in locating the fax number, and a contact name.

That's when I asked to speak to her supervisor, she, very smugly, said you will be waiting on hold for a long time. I asked her why she was still speaking to me, because I was done talking to her, we are talking $700 charges for a $135 purchase!

In speaking to the supervisor, I asked why do I still not have a confirmation number, it has been over an hour ago dealing with this? She explained that this was because my card was declined, wrong answer (totally different from what I was told earlier). I have placed several orders, today, and I have immediate response from my cards and the companies itself. She started explaining that she went thru this same ordeal (blah, blah, blah), this happens a lot to their customers, etc., but if we see this pattern why hasn't Kohl's adopted another policy, rid this situation? I asked her about the fax number, and how come I would have to get that info and then be placed on hold again to call their rude customer service, again. She gave me an email address that I could forward the info to.

After I called my card companies, both said that was very smart of me to track my balance after my purchases, I placed the email first thing Thursday am. I also, went to Kohl's website to see my confirmation number, still nothing.

I waited Friday am, and double checked for my confirmation number, nothing. My other orders that I made have already been shipped and on their way, according to my emails on Friday.

So, this is Saturday am, (3 days later) I am getting nervous, because, like I said this is about $700, waiting in limbo, because of a glitch in Kohl's website, that I am being penalized for. I emailed their customer service twice, also, today.

A big corporation placing 3 charges "holds", on 1 consumer, and according to customer service, they do it all the time. This is not fair, and how many people have gone thru this and not noticed this? I am not in a financial situation (single mother of 4 children), to wait 72 hours to "refund" my money. I caught it the same minute it happened, and do not see what the hold is up, give me my money.

This would be stealing, if we were in the street.

What if I was a secret shopper? How would this company rate, as for as customer service, and being satisfied to recommend this site to friends, or file formal complaints.

I suffer from chronic hypertension, with urgency. I do not need anything else to aggravate me, and my condition, this company sucks, and I want to pass this message along, to anyone who wants to hear it. DO NOT SHOP KOHL'S VIA INTERNET, THEY SUCK MAJOR...!

Who am I to believe, my banks, who I entrusted with my money, or a major corporation who has been scamming unsuspected consumers forever?

Are they flipping the money like that man during the campaigns, submit funds in our name, and I will pay you back later?

Why don't you try to purchase an item and see if your card is declined and still gets charged?

Here is a copy of the email to their customer services, that I am still waiting to hear from;

"I put in this request on Thursday with maranda.waldrop AT kohls.com, I have not heard a response, still waiting for my funds to be replaced immediately, and this was an awful experience @ this company. Customer service was very poor in handling my situation, over the phone when I called all 5 times. I need to hear something ASAP. I have yet to get confirmation # on my order, hope I am not a secret shopper, bad for business.

VISA- 1 UNWANTED CHARGE OF $138.24. PHONE # 387-7363,FAX # 857-0263; ATTN REFRENCE #---3406146, CARD #, AUTHORIZATION # --0070, REQUESTED INFO, LETTERHEAD, DATE, AMOUNT ($134.24), AUTH. #, NAME AND # OF SUPERVISOR, REASON WHY (DUPLICATE AUTHORIZATION).

(A different) VISA-2 UNWANTED CHARGES OF 138.24, EACH. PHONE # 865-1273, FAX # 870-5441; CARD # , AUTHORIZATION #'S ; ==3495 & ==3650. REQUESTED INFO; MY NAME ON THE CARD (-------), CARD# AMOUNT(S), DATE, AUTHORIZATION #'S, REASON, SUPERVISOR SIGNATURE, PHONE # AND COMPANY FAX #.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR PROMT ATTENTION IN THIS MATTER,

I always thought the customer was always right. I know I am and would like to be compensated, for this uncalled for aggravation, I would not wish this frustration on anybody.

So, 10 days later, my funds were still being on Hold, so I decided to call this company once again, to find out the status of my order. Not only were they still holding my funds they put all of the items back and told me my card was declined! After I raised hell, waiting 15 minutes to speak to a supervisor, because they were all out to lunch, I was told that I can receive a 15% discount on my future purchase. I asked how would I remember what I had ordered; does this company have my last order still? I was told no, so when I looked for an item that I remembered, for a birthday present was no longer available, I asked for my money to be released immediately. I went through the same crap of what is your banks fax number, etc. I explained that there should be a copy of the email that I sent to customer service, and to Marranda Waldrop, I was told that she does not know of whom I am speaking, and customer service is a different department. So I forwarded the same email to customer service and asked to be contacted immediately, and another to Marranda, she called me later that evening, with nothing but a bunch of the sorriest excuses, and customer service called me back 2 days later and refunded my money.

I opted to remove my name from their email subscriptions, too, and I am still receiving emails!

I thank you for listening to my "sound off".

Va

Comments

Do
  26th of Oct, 2008

Good for you for checking on that charge. I can't believe a big corporation like that would treat customers that way. Their answer is always a discount...how nice of them THANKS!!

Sh
  28th of May, 2009

This has been happening for at least two years then, because the same situation happened with me earlier this week (May 2009). The only difference is that the card that "didn't go through" (uhhh yes it did apparently) was a prepaid American Express card. They debited the total amount of $110.93 two time, coming to $221.83. Now, after contacting customer service, I have to wait "several" days for the charges to drop. Incredibly outrageous if you ask me. I made sure to cancel the Kohl's charge I just opened a few weeks ago before I got the chance to use it. I definitely do no trust Kohl's with my credit.

Va
  24th of Feb, 2010

note the bank hold your account for this purchase even though a company tells them that the customer was charged in error or cancelled the order the bank will not release the funds until the recieve the auth code from the company which is normally sent 24 to 72 hours after the charge depending on the bank if the the auth code is not receive in 3 to 20 buisness days the bank returns the funds removed if ever using the internet for shopping note if the first charge does not go through stop call the internet site phone number not the store because the net site is handled by a different division than the storeyou can get this number from the bootom of the page or contacting thedeparment store credit card services second contact your bank and see if the charge went through if so notfy them that you were not given a conformation of the purchase and to please put a hold on this purchase it will stop the processing and you may get you funds return a little quicker finally if you use a router for your computer make sure it is encrypted because your informantion is sent in the air and can be caught by others which can intercept you information or delay it i always jack in my system to shop and use one of the best fire wallsso just take a step back and think before hitting enter again

Je
  16th of Sep, 2010

it seems they still have this problem with charging credit cards. i'm in the same situation, two declined credit cards both charged twice for $400 total, so i hope this situation will be solved quickly :(

Ov
  13th of Dec, 2010

When you get the order take them back into the nearest kohls and return them. Done.