Kentucky Fried Chicken / denial of service

1 Lihue, HI, United States Review updated:

The KFC in Lihue (only one on the island) advertises that they accept Visa credit cards. When I presented my card, I was asked for ID. I told her I had no ID on me and she said they could not accept my credit card without ID. The manager was brought out. I asked her if she was aware that the contract with the Visa corporation prohibits them from denying service if no ID is presented. She didn't know and didn't seem to care. The Rules for Visa Merchants specifically says, "Althought Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID."

Comments

• Sl
      28th of Jul, 2009

They have to make sure it's you. Verification. How would you feel if someone stole your card and was able to use at will because they weren't i.d.'d?

• Ha
      29th of Jul, 2009

I had my ID. The point is that they are not allowed to deny service to a credit card customer just because I refuse to present my ID. That is in their contract with Visa. And, no, they don't have to make sure it is me. All they have to do is check the signature on the receipt with the signature on the back of the card. When they run the card and it goes through then that is all the 'verification' they need. I have pasted below the section from the Visa & MasterCard Guidelines for Merchants.

"When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
    rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
    cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot
    refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to
    provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their
    regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal
    for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or
    phone number, on a sales receipt."(Rules for Visa Merchants, p.31)

• Sl
      29th of Jul, 2009

That whole not checking ID doesn't fly well with all places. For example, I go into Fry's Electronics and they check your ID whether or not you've signed the back of your card.
    Again... the question is asked: how would you feel if you got your card stolen and the person wasn't ID'd to make sure the card is theirs? Most people at the register don't check the back of the card... they just swipe and go.
    Just suck it up and make sure you have your ID on you at all times.

29th of Jul, 2009

Man I cannot let this one slide by. Nothing personal but you do indeed look very silly H.K. Having been in business (here in the islands btw) for over 20 years I know you are right about the Visa contract. However we still ask for ID to specifically protect our customers, ourselves and keep costs down for Visa. Visa wants to terminate our ability to accept their plastic then we neither need them nor them us. CC fraud costs ALL of us BILLIONS annually and its the very foot loose and fancy free attitudes of Visa, Banks and consumers like yourself that have us in the greatest financial mess since the 1930s. Like another posted noted, just suck it up (or choose to not patronize businesses that extend you the courtesy of protecting your financial interests).

... And finally (yeah this one is kinda personal, but is extended with Aloha, not disrespect): Lived in the islands long braddah? I suspect not given your rather arrogant screen name here. "Haole Kahuna" are not words true Kamaaina or locals would ever put together. Seems you need some more time to acclimate into the local culture here (once you do you'll realize that you never should have made your post in the first place). Peace to you all the same!

• Ha
      29th of Jul, 2009

I'm afraid I disagree with both of you. No need for me to "suck it up." The merchant has entered into an agreement with the credit card company. If the merchant doesn't want to abide by the contract then the merchant needs to terminate the contract. They enter into that contract with the credit card company in order to attract business...people use credit cards. I have entered into an agreement with the credit card company as well. I am willing to abide by the rules. I pay my fees, interest, etc. I use the card for convenience. If it becomes inconvenient to use it then that affects businesses as well as the credit card company.

Oh, and 'braddah', I've lived in Hawaii for over 11 years. The name is not arrogant. (In fact, from your comment, I don't think you know what either 'arrogant' or 'Haole Kahuna' mean.) It's humorous. My Office Manager, who grew up on Niihau, gets a kick out of it and I'm guessing he's a lot more Kama'aina than you'll ever be. But then he's a pretty akamai guy...not racist at all. And, from my experience, it's the racists who get upset over the use of 'haole.' Study the history of the word, the original meaning, instead of the corrupted meaning the racists of today use. Aloha kaua.