Kenmore / upright freezer

Florence, SC, US Review updated:

I purchased a Kenmore Upright Freezer Model 253.[protected] from Sears on April 15, 2016. In October 2017, just over 18 months of use, the freezer stopped freezing. I just happened to open the door and found all my food defrosted and dripping everywhere. After replacing several parts, it was determined as the compressor. To my surprise, Sears said the compressor only had a one-year limited warranty. To replace the compressor would cost me more than $400 (four hundred dollars).

My desired resolution is a full refund of $669.58.

Ja
Nov 28, 2017

Comments

• Sh
      Nov 28, 2017

Hi Janice. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

A one year limited warranty is extremely common now on most products. Because there are those consumers that don't concern themselves with warranty coverage until it's too late, manufactures have found its one of the easiest costs to cut.

For those unwilling to accept such a risk, most retailers offer extended warranty programs. If one determines to invest in such an extended warranty program, one needs to make sure the program is priced reasonably and has a good backing. Generally I wouldn't suggest third party programs but would insist on one backed by the manufacturer or retailer.

If assume you've checked with Sears to see if there happen to be such an extended warranty purchased with the freezer.

When replacing the freezer, pay for the additional coverage. You'll find its worthwhile as the compressors are all considerably smaller than those of yesteryear and don't have anywhere near the longevity.