Kenmore Range Model 790.95301 / Could have burned our house down

United States Review updated:
I was amazed to see how many people have had this problem with their Kenmore oven. This Christmas almost proved to be the last one for me, my husband, and son. I was up late preparing Christmas dinner for our family. I had spent 3 days thawing, brining, and getting a 20 pound turkey ready for baking. I placed the turkey in the oven preheated to 325 degrees at 1:00 am in our downstairs kitchen. We then went to bed for a few hours sleep. At about 4:30 am, I was awakened by the smell of the turkey baking but I went back to sleep for about 20 minutes. The next time I woke up, the smell was much stronger and didn't smell quite right. When I opened the door of our bedroom, I could smell the smoke and hear the smoke alarm coming from downstairs. Our smoke alarm upstairs was not going off yet. I ran downstairs to find the bottom level of the house full of smoke. The black smoke was pouring from the oven and I could see the element on the bottom of the stove glowing red through the glass window in the oven door. The control panel was flashing F1 and the alarm was going off along with the smoke detector. I turned the oven off and then opened the doors and windows to try to clear the smoke. I then returned to the stove and noticed it had turned itself right back on, the element was still glowing red and the F1 alarm was back on. I turned it off again and it again turned itself back on. By this time I was frantic and scared to death and ran upstairs to get my husband out of bed to help me. I showed him again that when I turned the oven off that it just turned itself right back on. He had to turn the breaker off. Thank God that I smelled this because we did not hear the smoke alarm. Our turkey was "cremated", but we are alive. If the house had caught fire with us sleeping in the level above, we wouldn't have had a chance to escape. I know this is long, but I would like to try to warn everybody out there to never, never, never trust this range/oven. I am furious to see that this many complaints have been made and that there has been nothing in the news. I had no idea! I will never use this stove again, it is destined for disposal. We will file formal complaints with both Sears and Consumer Protection. For now, we have made sure to call all our family to tell them how much we love them, because you never know if you will ever be seeing them again. All for a stupid, faulty stove that they don't have the decency to recall. Is there no sense of respect for human life out there anymore. Keep safe out there!

Comments

Ba
  9th of Jan, 2009
I have also had problems with a Sears range. I researched the product and the 790 is made by Frigedare. I have been working with Sears since November because of a bad circuit control board that controls the burners. The burner would not shut off and got hotter and hotter. I turned off the breaker to shut it off. Tjis happened as I was preparing for Thanksgiving and we had to go out and cancel dinner. No safety shut off in range for these problems. Sears could care less. Very rude service department. Still have open case as I am not satisfied with their answer.
Next call will be to the Better Business bureau.
Te
  30th of Apr, 2009
We have just experianced the same problem with our "Sears Kenmore" 790.95301. Fortunately I recognized the potential for a major fire problem and got to the circuit breaker and shut off power to the stove. I also called Sears, telling them about the "F1" code and arranged for a service call. While waiting for the serviceman ( a few days ) we needed to cook something on the stovetop burners, so I powered up the stove only to find that even though the oven controls had not been touched, the oven went into the "run-away" mode once more, so off went the circuit breaker again!

When the serviceman came, his comment was that he thought that this stove was a great model - so much that he had purchased one for his own home! Hope he remembers where his circuit breaker is!! He also advised me that the cause was a shorted oven control relay on the control board and the entire board must be replaced as they do not perform individual component repair/replacement. ( All of this without performing any electrical diagnostics or tests it appears that this is a regular failure with this model ) The cost of the repair - parts, labor & taxes was quoted at $361.41 which exceeds 50% of the value of the stove, and we would wait 2 weeks for the part to arrive so that he could return to do the replacement.

We intend to pursue this with our local Sears store ( where we purchased the range ) as this is a major design fault that needs to be adressed, and we also feel that the cost of the repair is excessive and we want to see what they will do for us.
Do
  13th of May, 2009
I had this exact problem with my own Kenmore Range, it also being manufactured by Frigidaire. It was 6 years old. When I contacted Sears about this, they claimed there is "no known safety issues with their ranges". However, after researching this, I found that there is a huge safety concern with their stoves and they need to address it quickly before someone's house burns down!! I filed an online complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A representative from the CPSC came to my house, took pictures of my stove and is building a case against Sears. I urge everyone to contact or file an online complaint with the CPSC to help their case. I will never buy another Kenmore product.
Ev
  5th of Jul, 2009
I purchased a Model 790 Stove March 2009. The stove is very attractive and appears to be very functional. However, when we use the oven for any length of time (400 degrees F) heat is being transferred to the top surface of the stove. The heat is great enough to actually create blisters from the touch. Again, we found that any one of the top burners, if left on for a few minutes also transfers very high heat to the surface.
We had a Sears service technician come to check the stove. He did not check anything for a problem. He stated that all of the electric stove have the same problem. I questioned how dangerous this stove could be when we have grandchildren over or how dangeroud this stove would be if attempted to us the self cleaning feature.
Do
  25th of Feb, 2016
I have the same problem as "Don'tbuyKenmore". See http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2009/Frigidaire-and-Kenmore-Smoothtop-Electric-Ranges-Recalled-Due-to-Fire-Hazard/
Be very careful, we experienced all three items: burner turned on spontaneously, wouldn't turn off. We had to shut down with the breaker box.
Unfortunately, model # 790.96122408 is not on the recall list and they will not fix if it isn't on the list. I also filed a complaint with the CPCS, no response yet.

Kenmore Logo Kenmore