Kay Jewelers / terrible people

Kay Jewelers
South Hills Village Mall
My fiance bought my engagement ring there 5 years ago; that's how long we've been engaged. I bent a prong several years ago that they "fixed" but it was out of alignment with the other prongs. They told me that the diamond was secure and that that fulfilled the warranty/protection plan that my fiance bought. 2 months ago, I bent another prong and, this time, they told me that they had to replace the head (just the prongs) to make sure it's secure. They sent it away and it came back completely different! It was a completely different setting (the prongs were nearly twice as thick and it was a much shorter setting). They said that they would send it away again, but that they didn't know what the original ring looked like and that it might not be the same setting. The ring came back, again, but this time the prongs were still to thick and it was set way too high. This time, they decided to run my SKU number to see if they had any settings like my old one that they could replace it with. They had one left and it was just sold. They sent my wrong ring in with that one, telling the jeweler to use that setting. Well, it came back WRONG AGAIN. This time, the manager at the South Hills Village store told me that there was nothing else that they could do and basically scolded me because they had to pay $150 dollars each time they sent it away. (One...they got the setting wrong and Two...we paid for the protection plan!) I decided to call corporate customer service and the man told me that they wouldn't even consider letting me trade it in because, as long as the diamond was safe in the setting, that the ring was fixed according to the plan. The only thing they'll do is keep sending it away until they get it right. (Which, they've told me that my ring was so old that they can't do). I told him that I was FINALLY GETTING MARRIED in a few months and I am catholic, so it's extremely important to me that my ring gets Blessed and doesn't have to get shipped away a thousand times to be supposedly "fixed." He told me, and I quote, "I"m Catholic, too, and I know for a fact that you can get your rings Blessed any time." What about the fact that my wedding only happens once and that it is a Sacrament. Apparently NOT to Kay Jewelers. I've been engaged for 5 years - I've worn my engagement ring for 5 years - and I'm finally getting married. I will never have my original ring back and whenever I look down at the piece of junk that they replaced it with, I am completely disgusted.

A  18th of Mar, 2009 by

I am so sorry for your experience at Kays. I posted a complaint on here yesterday too, and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I have also complained to corporate and to my BBB about how awful the service was and the fact that they blatantly lied to me. I hope you find some way to move on and enjoy your wedding day. I know it's easier said than done, because I am not there yet either. It is still an open wound and we are both very upset about the whole thing. I will never have the ring he proposed to me with either and it really hurts. I only had my ring for a week before I sent it away to get sized. I can't imagine having it for 5 years and having something happen to it and them not make it right. I really feel for you and am sorry for what you are going through. Just wanted you to know, that there is someone out there that has a very good idea of what you are going through. I hope your wedding day is perfect in every way.

Kay Jewelers / Sterling Jewelers Logo Kay Jewelers / Sterling Jewelers