Kaspersky Lab / customer service employees cannot speak or understand english and auto-renewed without my authorization

1 United States

I have used Kaspersky anti-virus for a number of years, but I won't renew it again. My credit card was just billed 79.99 for something I didn't authorize. I got an email notification my subscription was renewed, but no description of exactly what anti-virus product was purchased.

I thought I had manual renewal, and kept getting renewal notices. The renewal notices I received via email said that there was a subscription renewal notice failure: "Unfortunately we were unable to renew your Kaspersky subscription due to a credit card authorization failure."

I also received numerous pop-up messages on my laptop reminding me of a need to renew. The last notice I got was last night saying I had less than 24 hours to renew or my subscription would expire. I have been very busy and had it on my 'to do' list to renew, but wanted to put money on my pre-paid VISA card before renewing. Then today I got an email thanking me for my renewal when I didn't even authorize a renewal!

I spoke to a number of Kaspersky representatives this evening, all of whom had thick Indian accents and were difficult to understand. They all just responded with scripted responses, and could not understand or respond to my specific questions. The best I could ascertain was that the last renewal a year ago was set to auto-renewal, even though I am very diligent to make sure I have nothing on auto-renewal.

If my subscription renewal was set to auto-renewal, then why did I get all those renewal notices and pop-up messages, including the one last night saying I had less than 24 hours to renew before my subscription expired.

The last couple of Kaspersky representatives I spoke with told me they got authorization from my bank! Since when does a bank have authorization to approve a charge on a credit card? If my subscription had been set to auto-renewal a year ago the last time I renewed, I should not have received all the email messages and pop-up messages telling me I needed to renew.

I suspect that my account may have been switched by someone at Kaspersky from manual to auto renewal so they could collect from my credit card.

Ci