Jetstar / extra baggage policy

1 GPO Box 4713Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Review updated:
Phone: 131 538

I have an upcoming flight to Denpesar from Melbourne with Jet Star (flying back to Melbourne out of Bangkok). I called customer service in light of the recent advisory not to travel to Bali. I think the advisory is mostly fear mongering but I understand the gov't has to cya. So, in light of the advisory, I thought I would at least enquire if I could alter my itinerary to maybe fly into Bangkok or KL instead. I was willing to pay the difference. Jet Star was totally unwilling to budge. At the time, I thought, well fair enough, I booked with a budget airline, I guess that is the price you pay for booking budget; they just want to fill their flight to Bali so fine. You would think they would attempt to accommodate given the circumstances, but fair enough. They won't. I'm not exactly pleased but fine.

Then I called back about baggage. I'm just going for a short time, so booked Jet Saver Lite (cabin baggage only). I wanted to know what it would cost to upgrade if I ended up wanting to check luggage. Not excessive luggage. Just what if I wanted to check my bag instead of carry it with me. When I initially purchased my ticket, I think the difference in fare was maybe $17.00 dollars or something. I know Virgin Blue has a policy that if you book online or call ahead, they'll charge you $8.00 to upgrade. If you wait to get to the airport, it is $20. What is Jet Star's policy? Well, first I am told that if I wait until I get to the airport, they'll charge $80. That is a lot. This is why I am calling in advance, I say. What is the cost if I were to pay now? The answer - after being put on hold for a ridiculous amount of time - is 'oh, it is still $80.00 '. I say, well that is awfully punitive since I could have booked the fare with checked baggage initially for way cheaper than that. The answer? Yes, we know. But that is what we'll charge you now that you have already booked your ticket and have no choice (ok, they didn't say that last part...)

In my view, this is appalling customer service. It is one thing to charge extra, and even charge a flat rate at the airport, but $80 if I call several days in advance? I checked online. I could still book the Jet Saver fare (with checked baggage) for less than the $80 dollars difference. So wow. You really do get penalized for booking with Jet Star if any changes need to be made post purchase. I guess I would have been better off with a different airline. I've flown both Tiger and Virgin Blue many many times. And never have had these kinds of problems.

De

Comments

• Au
      20th of Jul, 2009

I've just faced the same problem with Jetstar. I have called a number of times in regarding to cancelling the return leg of my journey and then also to upgrade so I can take baggage. I was given different information every time and it has been a painful process. Additionally not one customer service representative has been friendly or helpful.

• Da
      11th of Aug, 2009
    Jet Star - Pathetic Customer Service
    Jet Star
    Victoria

We booked tickets from Melbourne to Sydney return,

They were cheap promotional tickets in result my cousin had to pay $80.00 to check in her baggage on top of her flight tickets then being 1kg over coming home she got offered another $30 for 1kg.

Their service was rude and arrogant.

Coming home we experience their service to be the same where a flight attendant was collecting baggage that was stored 10 seats back because there wasn't enough room for everyone to put their own baggage on top of their own overhead storage. Mine was one of them so I asked if she could collect mine too her response was "No I have to concentrate on people in row 1"!!!

I'm pretty sure I payed the same as them if not more because of our extra baggage!! Never flying Jet Star again!

• Je
      4th of Sep, 2009
    Jet Star - Flight cancellation
    Jet Star
    Brisbane
    Queensland
    Australia

Friday 5th sept we had a flight booked travelling from Brisbane to Darwin as a fathers day surprpise. The flight was delayed 2 1/2 hrs before being cancelled. Given no info why etc the entire plane load of people were given no information on the options available or any form of compensation, accmodation or options to get us home at 1am in the morning NOTHING. Just given attitude by the 2 staff members they had on serving the plane load of peole, they just gave details on the next flight available. We were told the next available flight was the next day at 12.10pm. What a joke. We also had spent a lot of money to and from the airport and while there as well. JETSTAR :0( has a pothetic attitude to customer service. Attitude from the airport staff at the Jetstar terminal was unbeleivably rude. As if it was the customers fault. We were told a refund would be provided but who pays the credit card charges etc. I reccomend no one fly with Jetstar as you will only be treated poorly. I know I will never fly Jetstar and will highly recomend to freinds etc that Virgin blue is the better option.

• Li
      8th of Dec, 2009

Actually, just flew from Gold Coast to Christchurch and to check a bag on a lite saver ticket it was $160 per person! This is absolutely ridiculous. When booking there was no mention of the dollar cost to upgrade at the airport AND there was PLENTY of overhead space on our flight. I will never fly Jetstar again, just on principal. And the service agents were so rude and unapologetic - our checked bag cost almost as much as our tickets!

• Ne
      5th of Feb, 2010
    Jet Star - NEVER FLY JET STAR-Change of Itinerary
    JET STAR
    Australia

WARNING: NEVER FLY JET-STAR!!!. Sure its cheap but the constant problems by far outweigh the accomplishment of snagging a cheap flight. I made a reservation 2 weeks ago and have had my Itinerary changed on me 2 times since then. The first was a time change of about 2 hours. The second was a date change. I was due to fly out of Auckland on the 9th of March to Sydney where I would connect to my Sydney-Japan flight later that day. Jet Star changed my flight to the 10th (The following day) meaning I couldnt make the connection in time. When I finally got through to a Jet Star representative in Melbourne and explained my situation I was not offered a reason and barely got an apology from her. In fact it was her that had the attitude of Jet Star were doing me a favor, "Listen do you want me to change your flight or not". You just cant change a date of a flight and send an email notifying the customer of that. A time change although troublesome may be worked around but a COMPLETE DAY CHANGE. YOU MUST BE JOKING. PS: According to my rude and welcome to Australia representative "IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME"... DONT FLY JET STAR.!!!

• Ai
      11th of Feb, 2010

Not sure what their policy is, but most airline (including mine) will give you a few options when they change times/dates:

You can book for a day earlier or later, or you can insist on a full refund... That's about it. Good luck!

• Sh
      11th of Mar, 2010
    Jet Star - Jet Star Nazi : Rosanne
    Perth Airport
    Perth
    Western Australia

Perth's Jetstar Nazi - Rosanne

Have you ever seen the episode of Seinfeld called the Soup Nazi.
    Well in Perth they have their very own version of a Nazi by the name of Rosanne.
    Rosanne is all of 20 years old and does not do any actual work, she just
    graces the ticket counter at Jetstar Perth airport.
    Rosanne sits at the computer and dispenses the tickets. What Rosanne does not do is to get down off her seat to straighten bags, or put stickers on bags or tags on bags or any of those other lowly occupations that other ticket clerks in other airlines do.
    Oh no, Rosanne the Perth Jetstar Nazi
    commands and the passengers must obey her instantly with suitable reverence, obsequeousness & adulation or she will and has done on many occassions screw up passenger's tickets and refuses to allow them on the flight.
    Rosanne treats all people i.e collegues and passengers alike, as if they are hers to command.
    Even other female supervisors seem to be thoughly dominated and controlled by Rosanne.
    Fellow Jetstar Passengers if you ever have the misfortune to cross paths with Rosanne the Perth Jetstar Nazi & she treats you in her usual boorish, rude, bullying manner please do not hesitate to write to Jetstar. Bully's like Rosanne should never be tolerated.

• Ro
      18th of May, 2010
    Jet Star - check in
    Sydney Metro Area
    New South Wales
    Australia

lost luggage in Vietnam missing 5 days when it was found they would not send it to my hotel. I had to go to Nha Trang airport which is 45 mins each way in a taxi I had to pay for taxi . Jet Star staff in Vietnam are very rude and most unhelpful.

• Ji
      13th of Feb, 2011

Also same as above. Looking at the dates, the last comment was 2009. It is now 2011 and nothing has changed. $160 to book luggage after already securing my flight. Here is how it went down. I went online to a book a flight on Friday and the system would not confirm my booking so I called customer service. Booking the flight was no issue except a problem when it came to an additional credit card charge of $36, apparently mandatory even though if I had booked through the website I could have selected EFT which incurs no fee. After some discussion here I was able to have the fee waived. I specifically asked if I could allocate seats, select meals and opt to check luggage after this date (remembering some of the costs from the website, particularly the $20 checking luggage fee one way). Finalised the booking Friday but have called back Monday to allocate seats and also secure some checked luggage for the return trip SYD - KIX. Upon calling, I was told that now the option to check luggage was not $20 one way, it was $40 one sector - meaning SYD > OOL >KIX was actually $80, and thus $160 return. I asked how it was possible for one of their staff to provide me with misinformation on the Friday and in one business day to now be looking at a quadrupling of the cost?! No satisfactory response and refusal to move on this means I won't book luggage. In response, I am planning to take a laptop bag, in addition to my hand luggage (allowable by Jetstar rules) and fill this with more luggage as the flight attendants won't check the weight! Enjoy flying with Jetstar!

29th of Jan, 2012
    Jet Star - check in
    Melbourne
    Victoria
    Australia

Arrived 35 mins prior to departure for 2 pm flight today told girl that I am late what do I do. She directed me to the desk were you check bags there were 4 others for the Perth flight in front of me. Eventually got served to tell me the flight was closed. He directed me to the service desk who also cld not help me. The guy at the baggage desk already knew I was also wanting to get on the flight. The service was appauling and I am now sitting in the Qantas lounge waiting for a flight at 8.45. Thank god for the Qantas lounge. It the first time I have booked with jetstar never again. Sally

• In
      21st of Jan, 2017

Because my daughter had overlooked prepaying for baggage when she booked our flights from Sydney to Auckland and the back to Sydney, Jetstar charged me $1, 105 for 3 bags on our return trip from Auckland to Sydney. Neither Jetstar nor Qantas will give me any relief. I feel I was taken advantage of and that the charges were outrageous and unrelated to what the cost to Jetstar was to transport our bags. I will never fly Jetstar or Qantas again.