JC Penney Rewards program / charge on my visa

JC Penney
I had signed up for the jc penney rewards program and I was never told this would cost $9.95 a month. I never gave them my credit card number. I do shop jc penney on a regular basis but this was not something I agreed to pay for. It was very misleading inn the fact that this was a free service. I feel if I did not give authorization to use my charge card number, jc penney had no right to do so.
I will call my charge card company and jc penney and file a complaint with them as well. This service they so kindly offerred is fraud as far as i'm concerned and something needs to be done to stop this.

D  13th of May, 2009 by
the jcpenney rewards program IS free.

you signed up for an additional program-- fun family rewards, health extras, perfect home rewards, motor plus, or something of the likes.

those programs are 9.95 per month.

look closely at you billing stmnt from your credit card and you will see a telephone number to call, or call 1-888-527-6839, they will help get you to the right group...
N  1st of Jul, 2009 by
That doesn't seem ethical for a business to do this either. It's still a scam if you have to call to get free rewards after being charged. They probably only did this because you caught them charging you the money. I don't trust JCP.
N  2nd of Feb, 2010 by

JC Penney Rewards program - Charges to Visa
JC Penney

I made a large purchase at the Catalog Department (JC Penney - Dulles, Virginia) and the clerk gave me a card and told me to apply to the Rewards Program for additional mailings of coupons/discounts at no cost or obligation to me. I had my daughter sign up and then was informed this was a SERVICE OFFERED THAT YOU HAD TO PAY TO OBTAIN. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY TO GET A DISCOUNT, ESPECIALLY AT PENNEY'S WHERE THEY SEND ALL THEIR DISCOUNTS TO YOU FOR FREE THRU THE MAIL????

I sent numerous emails to their website customer service link and finally in December I received an email stating that my "Rewards Account was Cancelled"...now it begins...the billings started to hit my Visa card in January and again in February...($9.95). I have never used their services or their discounts. I spent 2 hours on the phone today only to be told my account had just now been cancelled (today) and they couldn't tell me how to get the charges reversed or who in their organization or where in their organization I was to call to have it done.

Navy Federal Credit Union has been great in reversing the charges. I think JC Penney and their Customer Service Department STINKS!!! Do not get taken in on their Rewards Program!!! I haven't shopped there since!!!
A  18th of Mar, 2010 by
I too, have found charges by JC Penney Telemarketing, bbut the charge on my card was 17.98 ??? I am in the process of a complaint against them. I do not believe this !!!
A  6th of Oct, 2010 by
I agree. I purhcased drapes for my home. After purchasing them I clicked a button on something small on screen that mentioned 10$ gift card or something. The text was in an area about 2" by 2". I thought that by clicking the box I would be seeing more details - not enrolling.

In reality I enrolled.
15 mintues later I called the 800 number to cancle my membership.
They told me I had not yet been entered in the database and they could not cancle me.

I called JC Penney and told them I want to cancle my membership. They told me to call the 800 number I previously called.

I called the 800 number and was told I need to opt out by mail by when I recieved my "membership packet".

I never recieved my membership packet. After returning from an extended vacation and looking at my credit card statements in greater detail I googled "SB *PERFECT HOME SLECT(Services and Merchandise)" and asked that they remove my membership and redact all chargest (from Aug - Oct (3 monthes) They removed the most recent but would not remove the charges from Aug and Sept.

I was not expecting such a hidden-enrollment to be offered by what I thought was a reputable company. Futhermore I am very dissapointed with JC Penney for failing to act on my behalf to remove charges or in some other way compensate me for my time spent dealing with the issues or the un-wanted charges on my card.

In no way did I check a check box indicating I wished to enroll.
Also, I did not recieve the compensation (10 gift card + membership packet) that I was supposed to recieved.

This is clearly not the way to support your customer-base JC Penney. I'm actually fairly shocked that something so shady came from such a formerly reputable company.

I look forward to speaking with higher management in the next 5 to 7 days. (what timelyness!)

JC Penney Company Logo JC Penney Company