[Resolved] Intelius / Valumaxfraud - unauthorized charges

D Review updated:

I ordered a couple of extended people searches a few weeks ago, and now, I have unauthorized charges from a company called "Valuemax" which I NEVER elected to be a part of. I was never shown any kind of agreement screen, or offers from this Valumax company.

The day that I ordered the searches, three statements from Intelius for the amounts I paid came in my email. A "welcome letter" from Valuemax also came through, but because I receive email in high volume, and it was not from Intelius, the company that I THOUGHT I was dealing with, I did not open it.

Supposedly "Valuemax" is something that would save me money on credit card purchases at certain establishments.

I have never received any other corrospondence from Valuemax since.

I did a web search and I found that many many other people are suffering from this same scam.

Once again, I never authorized any kind of membership. As a result of this, I have had to cancel my bank card, and am now trying to reconcile the NSF fees from this fiasco.

This company must be stopped.

Intelius / Valumax

• Resolution Statement

• Intelius_Customer_Support's Response · Oct 14, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• H
      Jan 05, 2010

I just found months worth of Valumax charges on my credit card. I have used Intelius in the past with no problem and am very much aware of the hook attached to all these "free trial" offers. I never sign up for anything that I'm going to have to remember to cancel later. It is a load of BS that I somehow agreed to some promo offer outside of the immediate search I was doing. I know FOR SURE that I never agreed to anything like a "special promotional" rate. I called Valumax today and really went off on them. At first they only offered to refund the most recent charge, but when I started talking about bringing in my state's Attorney General Office they agreed real quick to refund all charges. This is sleezy beyond belief, especially in times like this. It's even sleezier to try to put the blame for this kind of ripoff back on the victims. I WILL NEVER USE THE INTELIUS SITE AGAIN FOR ANY REASON! NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER IF THEY VALUE THEIR PRIVACY, MONEY AND PEACE OF MIND!!

• G
      Sep 04, 2010

I, too, found that after using Intelius once or twice that I was covertly enrolled in a membership for Identity Protect that was charging $24.95 to my checking account!!!
    When I finally called on 6.15.10 [My note to self: Cancelled Intellius and People Seach on 6.15.10 (Crystal/Record #5140C/[protected])], it is not easy to find out how to cancel on their website, they supposedly cancelled it, but now it is showing us as something called ValueMax.
    What the hell kind of scam is this????
    Major inconvenience as I will prob close that account with my bank.
    DO NOT USE THE INTELIUS SITE FOR ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!

• G
      Sep 04, 2010

9.4.10
    So I just got off the phone with a supervisor named Gloria from Value Max. Of course, I was infuriated.
    Because I mentioned that I was researching the Intelius/ValueMax scam and seeing numerous complaints online, she offered to refund the August and July ValueMax charges that were showing up on my account.

I asked her if that was it??? She asked me how many charges were showing up on my checking account and I told her that since she had her computer open to my account, that she could tell ME, and if not, I would contact my State Attorney General's office, just like the other people threatened to on this site.

She then told me that she would refund the TEN charges of $24.95 that had hit my account, it would take 3-5 business days to see it on my statement.

I then demanded a phone number and my membership number (since I had NO idea about my "membership", should I need to call back if the charges where not reimbursed.

If you need to call to deal with your own situation, call a supervisor named Gloria at ValueMax #[protected].

My Notes:
    6.15.10 Cancelled Intellius and People Seach (Rep: Crystal/Record #5140C/[protected])
    9.4.10 Cancelled ValueMax w/Rep Lydia, bank should be credited in 2 business for August (Record #700226)...but I asked to speak with a supervisor to get all of the charges reimbursed. ***Supervisor Gloria #[protected], Record #4789 - will refund 10 charges for $24.95 3 biz days, Membership #[protected]

From what I can tell, when I used Intelius, there must have been fine print about a trial ValueMax membership that would activate if I didn't cancel in 7 days. But how would I know to cancel if I didn't even know about the membership??? I am now going to research back in my checking account to see if I was charged for BOTH Intellius and ValueMax...

Additionally, I'm going to forward this link and a complaint to my State Attorney General and some local/national news stations in hopes that one of them will blow this scam wide open.