[Resolved] Intelius / scam

I have tried to connect by phone for two days. after waiting 15minutes a person answered. He said he could not help me he would switch to a person that would. that person never answered.

• Resolution statement

• Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 23, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius Customer Care's Response, Apr 02, 2010

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius Customer Care's Response, Feb 17, 2011

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Te

Comments

• Va
      16th of Jun, 2008

Got charged for a service I didn't sign up for. Spend lots of time on the phone to straighten it out. Almost 2 months of unanswered calls and emails only to be told today via email from intelius customer service to "*** IN A SHOE". I asked why he was so rude and was then told "THAT IS WHAT IN OUR MANUAL. Yup, no joke, copies of the email will be mailed, emailed and faxed to anyone important I can find in that company. I am just shocked! People work in the customer service industry and have no customer skills. I'm tired of them getting away with it. They ruin it for the people who work hard to make customers happy and for us customers who PAY for their services!

• Va
      14th of Jul, 2008

I ran a report on myself. I lived in the area 60 years. They have no report or any other reference on me. They will not refund. I will contract my credit card and issue a complaint. They are a scam. Do not use them as they are multi-teared scam system making you pay for more services thinking you will get your information if you pay the added price. Scam...!

I don't know if other companies can provide this service. It is good to run a background search when you are constructing a resume. But, you need to deal with a proper company which isn’t a scam, if there is such a company. I tried another company and they also are a scam. Good luck.

14th of Jul, 2008

Hello you, Did u get package back to mail of 3 of bottles back to u? I just want to cancel it and retutrn mnoey back, I forget how much total cost? pls let me know, i sound like to hear for coloncleaner is goood to so i can;t it ok, thank you so apprecatie to u, have a nice day,

• Ro
      8th of Oct, 2008

The whole thing is a scam

• Na
      8th of Dec, 2008

12/08/2008

Authorized $ 2.95 for a people search and was charged $19.95 for two months and also was signed up for At Home Rewards. And was also charged $19.95 for that. I cancelled my check card so this should stop them from getting any more money out of my account. Had to call twice to get them to cancel both the People Search and At Home Rewards. Something needs to be done about these people. I'm on a fixed income and this hurts.

reveloves@yahoo.com

• Ga
      15th of Jan, 2009

The pretent to help you out, they have the information but they will charge usa monthly fee without you noticing/or accepting and if you decided to accept a disct amount you will be enroll and other things for additional charges of $19.95 per subscription and an additional $19.95 a month until you notice. Oh and neither company will give you your total refund only portion of it. I called them both and they have an attitude when answering the phones and they would not give you more information than "Ican only refund you one not both charges".

• Hg
      8th of Sep, 2009

The Intelius scam continues but we can all fight back. It's early September 20009 and I have just gone through two disputes which appeared on my bank statement. Fortunately, I have a great banking institution whereby they work well with their customers. They conference me into the conversation (3 way) so that all parties have a say in the conversation.

We all know by now that this company (Intelius) is performing devious if not down right illegal practices. Yes, they are alerting customers on their site about these additional fees but it appears in such small print, the customer (like me) fails to recognize what is actually being sold here. Intelius is hoping for two things to escape the customer. First, that we will miss the fine print or worse, not even bother to read it. Second, that enough people will not even bother to dispute or worse, recognize the charges on their bank statements. In other words, if only two out of ten people dispute the charges with their bank, Intelius is still making lots of money.

The first thing I did was contact my banking institution. Don't give up. You have the right to dispute these charges. If you fail with the first contact at your bank, call back a bit later and try again. Hopefully you will reach a different person. If this attempt fails, go to the bank in person. The quicker you discover these charges the better. Don't put it off.

The second thing I did was contact Intelius (online) no need to spend more time on the phone waiting for them to pick up and having to listen to such dreadful music to boot. Don't be vulgar, be firm and to the point. Whether your input will fall on deaf ears, I can't say.

The third thing I recommend is to contact the Attorney Generals Office in the state in which you live. Explain what happened and your displeasure, be courteous. Contact your Better Business Bureau. Both of these things can be done online. If you want to go one step further, contact a news outlet, meaning your local station or better yet, a major network. Most major networks have what's called consumer protection hot lines or some such name. They work on your behalf.

Finally, the more people identifying these unscrupulous practices, the better.

13th of Sep, 2009

I had a 99.75 charge last night from this company on a card that I have never given them the information for. On my account I found in there web site, they don't even have a phone number for me, because they only have the info that I gave intelius this past February.

• At
      23rd of Oct, 2009

Our law firm is Plaintiffs' counsel in a class action lawsuit filed against Intelius and their partners in the Central District of California. If you have information you would like to share, or to assist in the prosecution of this case, you can contact me at:

William R. Restis, Esq.
    Fax: (619) 238 5425
    email: wrr@classactionlaw.com

• Ca
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I went through Intelius to look up a phone number that had been used to reserve a hotel room using our company name. The web site said I would be charged .99 for limited information. I then looked up another phone number that was used for the same room reservation and again said I would be charged .99 which I agreed to and gave my company credit card again. I just received my bill I was charged .99 ten 4.49 for the second number and for Int*INPROTECT Monitor services $19.95. I just hung up the phone with a VERY rude woman that informed me that I agreed to this MONTHLY CHARGE but should would cancel at this time but Would not give me back my 19.95. Do NOT use this service!!

• Ll
      4th of Mar, 2010

Don't use Intellius. I was trying to find my cousin's address in a small town where she has had three different houses, her husband died and I wanted to get the correct address to send flowers. The only information I got was that they had indeed had three addresses in that town. It didn't tell me WHEN they lived at those addresses or which was current. They are a scam do not give you any relevant information and not matter what they say will end up charging you 19.99 for the service because you did not read the fine print. The nasty people on the phone will tell you that there is no supervisor above them that you can talk to and will refuse to refund your money! I am so angry I could spit... I hate being scammed.

• Al
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I called the telephone number provided by my credit card company. After about a three minute wait the representative told me how I agreed to the Ident. add on during my one information search (which did not provide any usable information). When I said this to the representative, he said that is what you get for .95 cents. How Professional. I had not rec'd any email or information, just a charge for $19.95. I asked if there were some sort of box that you checked to agree to accept the monthly add on, but I was told that I had a choice of paying .95 cents which is 51% off or $1.95 full price. I selected the .95 cent price and that automatically enrolled me in the monthly program. So had I selected the 1.95 service, I would have saved $19.00 hmmmmm. Sounds strange to me. I feel this is a scam and if they are providing a true desirable service, they would not need to stoop to such a low level to obtain customers and membership/subscription.

Provide a desirable service and you will have happy customers. Scam them into being charged a monthly fee and you have people like myself posting on every possible place to report the poor business ethics of this company.

• P5
      17th of Apr, 2010

Like many others here, I originally payed 99 cents for a reverse look up. The reverse lookup just gave me someones first name.

I then see a couple of weeks later on my Chase Credit card statement two additionally charges for $19.95. I called Chase immediately and the representative who I spoke to called Intelius herself, on my behave. The represenative from Chase then transfered me to the Intelius representative.

The Intelius had a luke-warm personality. She first said that I had signed up for the "idenity protection" or whatever it was. I told her that I absoultly didn't. She then tried to explain to me that it came with the 99 cent look up. I told her flat out that this seemed like another online scam and that I would to reporting the company to the BBB.

She responded by saying she would take off the the 99 cent charge because a last name was not provided and ask if I would like to continue the "identity protection program" at a reduced cost of $14.95 a month.

I then became very anger but assertively told her that I demanded to stop the program immediately and be refunded my $40. She responded by saying she wasn't going to argue with me.

I then demanded to talk to her supervisor. She then put me on hold and then came back within a minute (which seemed really quick and really strange) and said she had talked to her supervisor for me and that they would refund the $40 (the two charges) and also the 99 cent charge.

Immediately after hanging up, I googled Intelius and it became very obvious that this comany is in fact a maor scam.

• Ca
      10th of May, 2010

This is a scam. I paid $28.00 for a report and can't access the info unless I first agree to a monthly payment?? This is pathetic. I paid for a report - where is it?? They took my money but did not deliver. They want me to agree to pay them $20 a month, automatically removed from my credit card, before I can see the report a already paid for. I should have googled Intelius first before I tried to do business with these idiots. I have canceled my account with them and hope they don't try to steal any more money from me.

By all means - avoid these crooks.

• Ra
      16th of May, 2010

I have had the same things happen with this company. I have been trying to find lost relatives for my father for some time now and have lost money doing so. The worst thing about the whole ordeal is that 99% of search sites on the internet are run by Intellius. There is no way to get away from them.

• De
      17th of May, 2010

wow! i took the advice from above & threatened the company regarding a 19.95 charge they would not refund back to me. i threatened i would contact the bbb & so my money should be refunded back in 7-10 business days, we'll see what happens from that point! i was very surprised how the rep. folded after a threat like that ... previously that was not the case, the rep. was NOT refunding no matter what, more or less like "ohh well!" i'm happy so far, we'll see what happens & i'll be back to comment on that! thanks to the helpful world out there!

• Lc
      14th of Jun, 2010

on the phone with them as we speak and they're saying they're not going to refund my money!!! I asked to speak with a supervisor and hopefully I'll be able to get through to the supervisor.
    Wow way to scam innocent people.

• Mi
      11th of Aug, 2010

Don't use this company's telephone check service it's nothing but a scam. I did 3 telephone number inquiries at $4.95 each and got 3 one word returns back that was suppose to be subscriber information. By their rules you don't pay unless they find something and I guess making up a word and sending it to the customer "is something". There is no similarity between what is shown as a sample report and the return that you get. When I asked about the poor service delivered I got a "kiss off" form letter. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

• Ly
      17th of Aug, 2010

i just ordered the .95 deal and cant get ahold of the company by email. no matter what you press on the sight, it wont go anywhere. i want to cancel this order. what do i do?

• Ly
      17th of Aug, 2010

i just purchased a deal for 55 cents. when i try to do anything on the sight, it will not go anywhere. wish i would have seen these complaints first. how do i cancel my order