Infinity Insurance / infinity short changes valid claim for rental reimbursement

1 Orange CA, CA, United States Review updated:

Late last summer (2010) I was rear-ended by an Infinity Insurance customer while I sat parked at a red light. The Infinity Insurance adjuster never showed so I placed the claim through my own insurance carrier (State Farm). I then took my car to a Dealer Collission Center and spent $1, 500 out of my pocket for a rental car durin the 19 days my car was in the shop. State Farm wouldn't pay for the rental car as I did not have rental coverage on my State Farm policy. So I sent a letter to Infinity Insurance Co. who denied $300 of the claim citing "excessive repair period." After I received this denial letter I read Infinity Property & Casualty Co. latest Quarterly Report which states "Infinity Insurance provides personal insurance products with a concentration on nonstandard auto insurance... nonstandard auto insurance is generally undertood to mean coverage for drivers who, because of their driving record, age or vehicle type, represent higher than normal risks and pay higher rates for comparable coverage... Despite a weak economy, the Company continued to enjoy strong growth in written premiums. The third quarter of 2010 marks the fourth consecutive quarter that the Company has experienced growth in written premiums. The third quarter and first nine months of 2010 benefited from $16.8 million and $53.8 million, respectively, of favorable development on loss and LAE reserves compared to $13.2 million and $33.4 million of favorable development for the same periods of 2009. Bodily injury and property damage coverage in California, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas and Connecticut as well as the Commercial Vehicle product related to accident years 2009, 2008 and 2007 drove favorable development during 2010. The Company believes that the favorable development recognized in 2010 has occurred as lower paid development patterns continue to emerge because of an increase in the claims settlement tempo over the last several years." In other words Infinity Insurance specializes in selling personal auto insurance to drivers who otherwise could not get insurance, then use the underwriting process to delay and deny claims to increase their profitability. So, I filed a Small Claims action agains their "NonStandard" driver and Infinity Insurance Co. scheduled for Small Claims hearing February 2011

Comments

• Wp
      21st of Mar, 2011

Good luck with your lawsuit! Definitely add the Rental Coverage onto your own policy. I always tell my clients to add any coverage they want. You just never know if another company is going to pay in good faith. Let us know what the outcome is...