Iberia / Overbooking and delay

1 Portugal Review updated:

I had a terrible experience with Iberia, flying from Madrid to Buenos Aires. First our flight was overbooked. We couldn't flight that night and they assured us the place in the next flight, transfer to the hotel and the airport and a cash compensation. We had to change flights (connections) and to book an extra night in Buenos Aires. The following day, we were sited inside the plain for three hours, with technical problems. That plain didn’t lift – very little information was given to the passengers – and we had to go again to a hotel, until they solved the problem. We stayed from 11h to 20h30, without food or water, nor information about our departure. We departed to Buenos Aires with a delay of 13 hours in the second flight. We had to change our vacations completely and lost two days in the Barajas Airport. Iberia didn’t excuse itself for the trouble it caused to the passengers. I will never fly again with this company.

Comments

• Wa
      14th of Mar, 2009

I had the same problem with a missed connection and cancelled holiday.
    I'm now pursuing them through a small claim in court below and would be interested to hear what your final outcome was. Thanks
    steve
    On 17/1/2008 I bought a return flight from
    london-montevideo via madrid for 13.2.08 on
    Iberia.com. The documentation + website
    showed all flights were on Iberia. As
    advised by Heathrow check-in staff I checked-
    in bags from Heathrow to Madrid. Due to late
    departure of Heathrow-Madrid flight IB 7447
    I missed connection to Montevideo which was
    very stressful + exacerbated by staff on
    IB7447 being unhelpful and there being no
    Iberia staff in the arrival lounge to help
    decide what to do with my bags that needed
    to be collected and re-checked in. There was
    not another direct flight for some days so I
    had to cancel my holiday, stay overnight in
    Madrid and return to London in the morning,
    getting no sleep. My claim is for £250
    compensation for distress, inconvenience and
    ruining of my holiday. The claimant claims
    interest under section 69 of the County
    Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year
    from 13.2.08-3.1.09 of £? and also interest
    at the same rate up to the date of judgment
    or earlier payment at a daily rate
    of?

• He
      24th of Aug, 2010

Iberia:

We flew to Madrid and then Israel. We had a good flight and arrived

well in Israel. Coming home my wife confirmed our flight and was told not

to worry about seats. When we got to the airport, we were closed out and told

by a gentlemen that we would be put up, food provided and we would leave on

a direct flight to New York and a shuttle to Boston. My wife and myself with the

rest of our family were quite disturbed that over 20 people were not able to get

on the flight as we were supposed to. Afterwards another gentlemen kept

explaining to us further and once again he did not provide us with anything

except talk. We were left sitting around near to check-in for over 3 hours and nothing

was done. We were left stranded until we called a friend who told us to come

to his house. We stayed there until our flight on Delta was to leave. We were told that cab fare

was to be paid only to the place were we were staying with friends. At this point a third person

came and told us that and i said that if they did not pay for both ways we would sit their

and picket the area. The individual made another call to her boss and they agreed to pay both ways

the cab. I do believe that companies have certain protocols when flights are overbooked and

people have the right to some reimbursements for expenses, loss time and complete no

consideration for the individuals that are involved. You ask people to fly and then wonder

why people do not return. A company that does not value customers is not what we want to

deal with. My wife has sent two letters to you people but nothing has been done.

A concerned customer.