Hughesnet / slow internet

MS, United States Review updated:
I got Hughesnet because it's the only thing available besides dialup. But now I am wondering if I should have just went with dial up anyway. It would have been a lot cheaper. I don't know how they get away with charging so much for crappy internet service. I keep hoping that DSL will be available soon here. I know I'll end up having to pay to get out of my contract, but it will be worth it. To anyone looking for high speed internet, don't look to Hughesnet, because you won't get it.

Comments

Cc
  1st of Nov, 2008
I've been on HughesNet for 2 years now and my contract is finished. My problem is that I have no other recourse but to stay with them. I had my land line removed to eliminate the cost and thought satellite would be much faster.

I was wrong! HughesNet is so slow it's unbelievable. I thought it would help to upgrade so now I'm paying $10.00 per month more and there is not one ounce of noticeable difference. I wait up to 1-2 minutes for web pages to load (even with the upgrade!) and most of the time I get an error notice. We were told at the time of install that our dish was in one of the best places and rated very high on the scale for linking.

I'm paying $70.00/per month for this lousy service. I must be nuts! But it's too much trouble to get a phone and go back to dial-up which is probably faster!

I checked my download and upload speed at www.speedtest.net and the results were: download=419 kbps upload=380 kbps
No wonder I usually can't even watch a YouTube video without constant buffering.

I'm waiting for cable to open up here and I hope it's soon. I don't recommend HughesNet to anyone!

Hughes Network Systems Logo Hughes Network Systems