Hp Officejet Pro K550

Posted:

Printer is hopeless!

3.75
I am totally misguided by the misleading advertisement of HP about its printer HP Officejet Pro K 550. The design of the printer is hopeless. Brainless design, mindless manufacturing and dumping on the customers for their fate. The printer jams more frequently. It takes its own sweet time for the print to come. It is not easy to feed the printer. You have no chance to see and feel, if you have placed the papers in the tray properly or not. The printed doc is thrown out. You had it, once there is a paper jam.

Customer is helpless, since he has made a wrong choice trusting HP and its brand name. I wish if HP can replace this model with another comfortable model printer purchased one and half month back.

I have two more printers namely Laser4000N and laser 4L scrapped for its faulty functioning.

K Pani,
Bangalore - 560 004.
Complaint comments Comments (49)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

D  7th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
The Office Jet Pro K550 is not , by any means, a brainless design. I personally service these printers and the design is flawless. The only problem that the K550 ever encounters is a short printhead life, which can be fixed quickly by simply cleaning the nozzles on the printheads. The author of the complaint obviously knows nothing about the printer and needs to take more of an in-depth look at it before they decide to trash talk a quality HP product.
Please think before you decide to give a poor report to a product that has created ease in the work place of thousands.

Sean.........HP Certified.
N  10th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
Brand new HP Officejet Pro K550dtwn printer, took out of box, assembled as per manual, put paper in it, turned it on, the paper jam light turns on. The software for the printer says that the printer has a paper jam. The paper has never left the tray and the print head does not move back and forth by itself when the motor makes noise. Removed and reassembled everything with no change. Followed all steps listed for troubleshooting in manual and online on HP.com webpage titled: Identifying a Hardware Issue - Quick Check for the HP Officejet Pro K550 Printers Series. Unit was purchased new online so I can't take it back to a local store. Shipping was $35. Any suggestions from the guy who services these all the time? Is there a known connection that someone forgot to plug in during assembly? Thanks.
A  16th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I regret the purchase of this printer. I have more paper jambs on this printer than 15 or 20 other printers I have owned. When a page is printed, a load "KLUNK" is heard throughout the office. Then it prints. With Windows XP Professional, and Word, when the print button is pressed, it takes 5 to 7 seconds before the "KLUNK" and then it starts. Don't try to tell me this is "state of the art", it is poor performance, time wise, poor paper handling, and I believe I have to change the ink cartridges more often. Also, I know that the industry stops the printers when the ink get low, but there should be a way to print with a low ink cartridge. In a pinch, I know there are a few pages left in the cartridge.

This is, by far, the worst printer I have ever had.
D  19th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
Sean,

The officejet k550 SUCKS! I don't care if you work on them or not. I partially agree with K Pani. The design is ok but the operation SUCKS. These models are always jamming up and they go through ink like crazy.
A  22nd of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree - Printer is a month old, Jams and now is useless as it only prints on half of a page, tried this on multiple computers, same issue. Flashed the firmware, same issue - Must have bad paper sensors .

I have a case open with Hp right now!
A  30th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
Purchased the Pro K550 online. Stopped printing black quite quickly. Tried cleaning printhead first, but did not solve. Changed cartridge, but still same problem. Further, it does not help that the instruction manual tells how to install the printhead when printer is first received, but not how to install new, replacement printheads - the printhead carrier is in installation position when new, but needs to be repositioned to install a replacement printhead - and there is no guide how to do this.
A  16th of Jul, 2007 by    +1 Votes
Wow, I have a list of complaints a mile long about the K550 - and more visits to HP support than I can even count. When the K550 works, it's just fine - but numerous paper jams and terrible print head issues do make it a "brain-dead" design. A zillion firmware updates is a sign that something has gone terrible wrong in design.

I have received over 10 replacement print heads from HP and 2 or 3 new K550 printers, all under warranty. How does HP make any money on this? Now they are telling me to flash the firware again, and the utility refuses to work on either of my computers. So they are offering to send me another free printer. I just want one that works!!

By the way, Mark Busby, I discovered that the secret to getting access to the printheads is to 1) open the lid 2) press and hold the paper feed button for about 10-15 seconds. The printheads will move to the left where you can remove them. I recommend a manual cleaning with a good cleaning solution, not just the "clean printhead" option from the dialog.

Bottom line - this printer is like your dream date, only with an IQ of 15...
A  16th of Jul, 2007 by    +1 Votes
Update!

I just spoke with a technician at HP (a person who spoke English and was very easy to understand - from now on, I'm through with first-level, poor-English tech support ...) He said that yes, there are issues with the K550 printhead design.

Apparently the wrong algorithm was used in the K550 printhead design - the black ink, which dries faster than color inks, was supposed to be handled differently by the printer, but was not. This means that unless you print frequently, there is a good chance that your black/yellow printhead may clog up with black ink and stop working. (That's exactly what happened to me recently - I got a replacement printhead from HP 2 weeks ago, used it infrequently, and it was toast, as of 2 days ago.)

He said the new HP 5400 inkjets, which are the successor to the K550, have a different design, where the ink is kept flowing through the printhead. That eliminates the clog-up issue. The latest firmware update to the K550 may help with that issue, but it may not...

Word to the wise: skip the K550 and go for the 5400. It has a cheaper duplexing solution as well, which for any serious printing is a must-have.
A  18th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
The HP Certified obviously You either did not test this product or may have been the lucky guy who got one that worked? 6 months of paper jams especially with thinner paper or two side printing is no coincidence the manual says you must do many things to even get this printer to work fan paper, align perfectly,a sticky tray and don't push tray in too hard? Drivers are outdated however there is and update, and malfunction. Instructions on toolbox are very complex and non user friendly. I fell for the discounted price now I know why it was discounted. Also the large ink wells was what I needed however Office Depot does not that them for recycling! Fast isn't fast if you spend most of your times clearing jams and try to get the paper out have fun if you don't loss it in the process.
A  28th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
K550 is now an anchor as the printer will not work with my new OS Windows XP 64. There drivers do not load. There is no tech help, just some poor sap who will send your call into limbo. I will certainly purchase some other brand for work or home. I am finished with the HP crap. This is really sad!
A  16th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I get caught by the promise of a reliable, fast and economic printer. I bought a set of six printers for my company. Now I have to look for non critical task to use them as they are useless with preprinted forms. They break the paper all the time. I cannot use them for billing. They also cannot print on thin paper but just 80 grams or more.
A  20th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
This printer absolute rubbish. NEW PRINTER straight out of box... does not work. Bumps, whizzes and whirs. The network access works. But will it print? No. Not even a configuration page. Just get a few weird boxes in yellow, red and blue.

Awful waste of EUR 180 and 3 hours work.
A  20th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
This printer model sucks. I have seen about 3-4 of them in the last few months and guess what. All of them have had some sort of problem thus the reason for my looking at them. I had HP replace one under warranty and they shipped the wrong model (without network) Another user decided to replace the unit entirely with a different printer although I did get it up and running.

ANOTHER THING...

How about when you open the cover the print heads don't move to where you can get them out. I am having trouble with the new unit they just replaced (using the old print heads) to get them out. I stumbled on this forum because I was looking for a fast way to clean them without having to install the drivers on my machine as it is someone else's printer.
A  20th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
OK so pictures don't work on this page... but sure enough it jammed... twice.

A  21st of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
Thanks for the heads up... the print heads were all fu***ng clogged. Swapped them out... all is good. Tanks!
A  24th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I totally agree with the people complaining about this printer. Mine is brand new, and worked well for about a week. After that, things have gone in the ditch. Tonight I sit here trying to finish a project, but the damn thing jams on every single page, feeds extra sheets between pages, prints partial pages (if I hold the release paper button down enough)..... I bought this printer to replace my last HP printer, which also sucked! That one had big time problems with paper-feed as well, but I was assured this new HP would solve that problem! I will never ever ever buy an HP Printer again! I can't believe how much money I've thrown away on HP products... not to mention the time, aggravation, and missed deadlines due to unbelievably bad performance (and I DO use the term performance quite loosely in this context!)
A  5th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
I was just browsing for so HP help and opened quite by accident this complaint page. wow!! everything I've read I have experience. I hate to go buy another hp I was using the 7130 but wanted more speed. Big mistake!
D  6th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
I work on printers all day long, every type and make and at only £87 (ciao.co.uk), I don’t think you can really complain ok a few simple truths you buy cheap you get cheap for not much more money you can get a HP Colour LaserJet 2600n £135.81 ok so they do cost more in consumables but that’s life. Printers are not pc's a very simple truth, printers have moving parts unlike most parts of pc's, so do wear out and are easy to make go wrong, paper travels through them so any obstruction will cause problems, paper should always be good quality and correct specification not the cheap thin stuff, you will always get paper jams with that rubbish and the printer is designed to print on paper in the manufacturers specification, this is to do with weight of paper roughness of surface etc use the correct stuff your only robbing yourself with using cheap paper (time, stress, lost man hours, etc). If you don’t print often and when you do the print is streaky clean the printhead using the software if this does not work take out the printhead and soak them in boiling water for 10 minutes and use software again, this will often clear the dry ink from the printhead. And just so you know there are worse printers out there that cost a lot more than £87. Slow printing is often more to do with software than hardware so you need to look at the spec of the pc, network card type is it a 10 or a 100 mbps, length of cable etc and size of the print being sent to the printer. Complaining about a printer not working with windows xp64 is a waste of time you should be complaining about window xp 64 and not the printer chances are you need to look into the install of the driver you don’t need to install the whole package just install the driver with the add printer option and the base driver. All in all so far Ive not had much trouble sorting these officejets out general maintenance really. And one last thing if an inkjet last over a year thank your lucky stars and just fork out for a good colour laserjet.
A  7th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
I fully agree with every post I've seen. HP has gone down hill big time and my K550 sucks too. Japan returned them to us because they thought they sucked. What burns me is when I spoke with HP about the junk they're making these days they sounded offended and very defensive, as if it were not true. The K550 reminds me of the model 9xx digital camera they made and I was dumb enough to buy... Believe me, this has become the standard for HP - JUNK!
D  21st of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
Sorry all of you have had such bad experience. My K550 has been in service for over a year and has operated flawlessly, printing hundreds of color diagrams a day.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree

Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company Logo Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company
Customer Care Service